Navigation Restriction - Wollongong Harbour
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
AUSTRALIA DAY 2017 AQUATHON
7:30am to 10:30am – Thursday 26 January 2017
Vessel operators are advised that Roads and Maritime Services has declared that the above event, which is to be held on Wollongong Harbour between 7:30am and 10:30am on Thursday 26 January 2017, is a Special Event pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998.
SPECIAL EVENT & EXCLUSIVE USE AREA
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, Roads and Maritime has granted an Exclusive Use Aquatic Licence to Robert Battocchio to conduct the event and a Special Event/Exclusive Use Area (‘the Area’) will be established on the navigable waters of Wollongong Harbour between the above times.
The Area is roughly triangular in shape and comprises waters defined by:
- the shoreline adjacent to the intersection of Harbour Street and Cliff Road to
- the centre of the entrance into the Wollongong Harbour to
- the eastern side of the remnants of the stone structure adjacent to the Wollongong Slipway and back to
- the shoreline adjacent to the intersection of Harbour Street and Cliff Road
Brightly coloured red buoys will be placed approximately 20 metres inside each point of the triangle and will form the rounding markers of the course. Competitors will race outside these rounding marks. Accordingly vessel operators should be aware that the Exclusive Use Area extends for 20 metres outside of the rounding marks.
Roads and Maritime advises that in relation to the Area:
- Persons within the vicinity of the Area must comply with any directions given by an RMS Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- No unauthorised vessels are permitted to enter the Area and to do so may be an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.12(6) - Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 10A
Naval Chart AUS195
For further information concerning this Navigation Advice, please contact Roads and Maritime Services Info line on 131 236 (8.30am – 4.30pm seven days) or visit rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime.
MARINE NOTICE SO1671