Navigation Restriction - Wollongong Harbour - Australia Day aquathon 2018
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Australia Day Aquathon 2018
7.30am to 10.30am – Friday 26 January 2018
Vessel operators are advised that a Special Event pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998 is to be held on the Wollonong Harbour between 7.30am and 10.30am on Friday 26 January 2018.
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, Roads and Maritime has granted an Exclusive Use Aquatic Licence to Robert Battocchio to conduct the event, and an Exclusion Zone (‘the Zone’) will be established on the navigable waters of Wollongong Harbour between the above times.
The Zone is roughly triangular in shape and comprises waters defined by:
- the shoreline adjacent to the intersection of Harbour Street and Cliff Road to
- the centre of the entrance into the Wollongong Harbour to
- the eastern side of the remnants of the stone structure adjacent to the Wollongong Slipway and back to point 1.
Brightly coloured buoys will be placed approximately 20 metres inside each point of the triangle and will form the rounding markers of the course. Competitors will race outside these rounding marks. Accordingly vessel operators should be aware that the Exclusive Use Area extends for 20 metres outside of the rounding marks.
Roads and Maritime advise that in relation to the Zone;
- Persons within the vicinity of the Zone must comply with any directions given by any Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- No unauthorised vessels or persons are permitted to enter the Zone and to do so may be an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.12(5) - Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 10A
Naval Chart AUS195
For further information concerning this Notice, please contact Roads & Maritime Services InfoLine between 8.30am and 4.30pm seven days a week on 131 236.
MARINE NOTICE SO1748