Navigation restriction - Murray River, (Mulwala Weir to the Swan Hill Bridge) - Murray massive paddle
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Murray River, (Muwala Weir to the Swan Hill Bridge)
MURRAY MASSIVE PADDLE
8:00am to 6:00pm – Monday 20 to Friday 24 November 2017
Vessel operators are advised that a Special Event pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998 is to be held on the Murray River from the Mulwala Weir to the Swan Hill Bridge and between 8:00am and 6:00pm from Monday 20 to Friday 24 November 2017.
EXCLUSION ZONE / REGULATED AREA
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, Roads and Maritime has granted an Exclusive Use Aquatic Licence to Sydney Harbour Kayaks Pty Ltd and an Exclusion Zone (‘the Zone’) will be established on the navigable waters of the Murray River from the Mulwala Weir to the Swan Hill Bridge between the above times within which Special Restrictions will be imposed.
The Zone will surround and move with the competing vessels over the length of the course over the following dates and during the above times:
- Monday 20 November 2017 – from the Mulwala Weir, upstream from the 1986km river marker, downstream to the 1886km river marker near the township of Tocumwal.
- Tuesday 21 November 2017 – from the 1886km river marker, near the township of Tocumwal, downstream to Picnic Point near the 1790km river marker.
- Wednesday 22 November 2017 – from Picnic Point, near the 1790km river marker, downstream to the Victoria Park boat ramp, Echuca, near the 1712km river marker.
- Thursday 23 November 2017 – from the Victoria Park boat ramp, near the town of Echuca and the 1712km river marker, downstream to Torrumbarry Headworks near the 1648km river marker.
- Friday 24 November 2017 – from the Murrabit Bridge, near the 1486km river marker, downstream to the Swan Hill Bridge near from the 1410km river marker.
Pursuant to Section 12(3) of the Marine Safety Act 1998, special restrictions are applicable to powered vessels operating in the Zone:
- Maximum speed limit of 4 knots, and
- Minimal wash must be produced.
The Zone will comprise the entire width of the Murray River and will be marked by the presence of official vessels with the downstream extent of the Zone, and leading competitor, marked by a vessel displaying two red flags indicating the Special Restrictions apply. The upstream extent of the Zone, and final competitor, will be marked by an official vessel displaying a single green flag indicating the Special Restrictions no longer apply
All vessel operators and persons using the waters in the vicinity of the event must comply with the above restrictions, keep a proper lookout, and exercise caution.
Roads and Maritime advise that in relation to the Zone;
- Persons within the vicinity of the Zone must comply with any directions given by any Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- No unauthorised vessels or persons are permitted to enter the Zone and to do so may be an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.12(5) — Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 19
For further information concerning this Navigation Advice, please contact Roads & Maritime Services Infoline on 131 236.
MARINE NOTICE SO1771