Navigation Restriction - Murray River, Robinvale
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Murray River, Robinvale
Ski Racing Victoria Robinvale Euston ski race
7.30am to 7.00pm - Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 March 2018
Vessel operators are advised that a Special Event pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998 is to be held on the Murray River between Robinvale and Bonvaricall Creek and between 7.30am and 7.00pm on Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 March 2018.
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, Roads and Maritime has granted an Exclusive Use Aquatic Licence to Ski Racing Victoria Inc. to conduct the event, and an Exclusion Zone (‘the Zone’) will be established on the navigable waters of the Murray River between the above times and dates as detailed below:
Saturday 10 March 2018
- 7.30am to 2.00pm - between the 1122km river marker (1km downstream of the Robinvale-Euston Road bridge) and the 1164km river marker (at the junction of the Murray River and Bonvaricall Creek).
- 2.00pm to 7.00pm - between the 1122km river marker (1km downstream of the Robinvale-Euston Road Bridge) and the 1140km river marker (2km upstream of the Bumbang Cutting).
Sunday 11 March 2018
- 7.30am to 7.00pm - between the 1122km River Marker 1km downstream of the Robinvale-Euston Road Bridge and the Bonvaricall Creek Junction at the 1164km River Marker.
The Zone will be marked by buoys and monitored by patrol vessels.
In addition, pursuant to section 12(3) of the Marine Safety Act 1998, for the duration of the event, SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS are imposed on vessels that are lawfully moored within the Zone as follows:
- Vessels lawfully moored within the Zone must remain at their moorings and MUST NOT be operated during the event.
- All vessels lawfully moored, or secured to the riverbank, within the Zone are required to be placed parallel to the river bank, and in a safe location well away from river bends and corners. Failure to do this will delay the race.
Occupants of moored vessels are strongly urged to vacate their vessels during the event, and if they wish to view the race, to do so from shore.
Due to high speeds involved in the event, Roads and Maritime urges all spectators to exercise extreme caution when near the area, and be aware of approaching race vessels and likely exit route in case of an emergency.
Control vessels will be in place at each end of the course to advise vessel operators of the River closure. A Ski Racing Victoria vessel will be situated at the rear of the competing vessels and its display of a green flag bearing the words ‘Race Open’ in black letters will mark the completion of the event after which normal navigation can then resume within the Area.
Roads and Maritime advises that in relation to the Zone:
- Persons within the vicinity of the Zone must comply with any directions given by a Boating Safety Officer or NSW Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- No unauthorised vessels are permitted to enter the Zone under any circumstances, and to do so may be an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s12(5) - Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 29
For further information concerning this Navigation Advice, please contact Roads and Maritime Services Info line on 131 236 (8.30am – 4.30pm, seven days) or visit rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime.
MARINE NOTICE SO1802