Navigation Restriction - Lake Mulwala, Mulwala
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Lake Mulwala, Mulwala
POWERBOAT CIRCUIT RACING
7:00am to 5:00pm – Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 April 2018
Vessel operators are advised that a Special Event pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998 is to be held on Lake Mulwala between 7:00am and 5:00pm on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 April 2018.
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, Roads and Maritime has granted an Exclusive Use Aquatic Licence to the Australian Formula Powerboat Grand Prix Incorporated to conduct the event and an Exclusion Zone (‘the Zone’) will be established on the navigable waters of Lake Mulwala between the above times, and will be defined by:
- The Mulwala foreshore between the land-based localities of the Lake Edge Resort and south to the Melbourne Street Bridge, then
- East into Lake Mulwala for a distance of 750 metres, then
- North to a location directly east of the Lake Edge Resort.
The Zone will be marked by yellow buoys and monitored by control vessels.
A ‘transit lane’ will be established along the foreshore from the Lake Mulwala Holiday Park, south of the Mulwala Water Ski Club, to the Melbourne Street bridge, Mulwala, within which a patrol vessel or an authorised control vessel may, at times during the event, authorise local vessel traffic to pass through and within the confines of the transit lane.
SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS apply to vessels using the transit lane. Vessels navigating the transit lane must do so at a speed not exceeding 4 knots, must produce no wash, and must comply with any direction given.
Due to high speeds involved in the event, Roads and Maritime urges all spectators to exercise extreme caution when near the area, to be aware of approaching race vessels and exit points in case of an emergency.
Roads and Maritime advise that in relation to the Zone:
- Persons within the vicinity of the Zone must comply with any directions given by any Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- No unauthorised vessels or persons are permitted to enter the Zone and to do so may be an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.12(5) — Maximum Penalty
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 19
For further information concerning this Navigation Advice, please contact Roads and Maritime Services Info line on 131 236, 8:30am – 4:30pm seven days.
MARINE NOTICE No. SO1829