Navigation Restriction - Basin View, St Georges Basin
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Basin View, St Georges Basin
Water ski racing
8:00am to 7:00pm – Saturday 5 & Sunday 6 May 2018
Vessel operators are advised that a Special Event pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998 is to be held on St Georges Basin, and in the vicinity of Basin View, between 8:00am and 7:00pm on Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 May 2018.
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, Roads and Maritime has granted an Exclusive Use Aquatic Licence to Ski Racing NSW to conduct the event, and an Exclusion Zone (‘the Zone’) will be established between the above times and dates on the navigable waters of St Georges Basin in the vicinity of Basin View within an area described in a clockwise direction bounded by:
- 200 metres south of Basin View boat ramp, to
- Tallyan Point, to
- 200 metres west from the western tip of Garden island, to
- Bream Point, to
- Picnic Point.
The Zone will be marked by buoys and the presence of official patrol and control vessels.
Unauthorised vessels and persons are strictly prohibited from entering the exclusion zone which will be patrolled by Roads and Maritime and Water Police vessels.
Two ‘transit lanes’ will be established along the foreshore of St Georges Basin within which a patrol vessel or an authorised control vessel may, at times during the event, authorise local vessel traffic to pass through and within the confines of the transit lane:
- From the Basin View public boat ramp in a south-easterly direction to Picnic Point, at the entrance to Wandandian Creek.
- From the Basin View public boat ramp in an easterly direction to Tallyan Point.
SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS apply to vessels using the transit lane. Vessels navigating the transit lane must do so at a speed not exceeding 4 knots, must produce no wash, and must comply with any direction given.
Due to the high speeds involved in the event, Roads and Maritime urges all spectators to exercise extreme caution when near the Zone, and to beware of approaching race vessels and of a likely exit in case of an emergency.
Roads and Maritime advises that in relation to the Zones:
- Persons within the vicinity of the Exclusion Zones must comply with any directions given by a Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- No unauthorised vessels are permitted to enter the Exclusion Zones and to do so may be an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s12(5) - Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 11B
For further information concerning this Navigation Advice, please contact the RMS (Maritime) Infoline 131 236 or visit www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime.
MARINE NOTICE SO1830