V8 Supercars Newcastle 500
Newcastle is hosting the V8 Supercars race on 24 November to 26 November 2017. As the event circuit adjoins Newcastle Harbour, extra precautions are required to make sure water-based spectators are safe and don’t impact on the working harbour.
Watching from the water
Those planning to anchor their vessel in the harbour to watch the race will need to book an anchorage prior to the event.
Anchorage bookings and enquiries can be made by emailing NewcastleV8maritimebookings@rms.nsw.gov.au.
Please note: visibility of the track may be restricted due to temporary infrastructure along the shore and anchoring location. Tidal variation will also impact viewing.
Rules of anchoring for the event
- Anchorage areas will be available from 8am Thursday 23 November and must be vacated by 9am Monday 27 November
- Any vessel planning to arrive and anchor in the harbour prior to this date or remain after the event must proceed to overflow area 2
- Once anchored, vessels will not be permitted to leave the anchoring zones during the event without approval from Maritime or Police officers
- Shore access during the event will be limited. We encourage those who will need access to shore to anchor in overflow area 2 and catch the ferry from Stockton
- Vessels that arrive without prior booking to anchor will be directed to overflow areas
- Any vessel left unattended or secured to a wharf will be removed.
If you are planning to enjoy the race from the water by anchoring your vessel in Newcastle Harbour please remember:
- The harbour is often exposed to changing sea and weather conditions, so vessel masters are required to ensure anchor watch at all times
- The harbour is a busy working commercial port and vessel movements in the harbour often include shipping with the assistance of tugs, both of which generate significant wash
- Shipping has right of way over all vessels, so a minimum of 500 metres off the bow of any ship travelling in the harbour is required
- Due to shipping and Harbour Master requirements, vessels that protrude beyond the line of buoys will be required to reposition their anchor.
- Pump out, fuel and water facilities are available at Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club. Contact 4940 8188 for more information.
For more information on the Newcastle 500 event visit www.supercars.com/newcastle/circuit