Warnervale town centre - Sparks Road
Roads and Maritime has completed the Sparks Road upgrade between Virginia and Minnesota Roads at Woongarrah. The NSW Government provided $23 million for the upgrade including $17 million from the Housing Acceleration Fund. The upgrade included building a new intersection about 500 metres west of Minnesota Road to provide access to the new Warnervale town centre.
Updates and Announcements
Work on the Sparks Road upgrade between Virginia and Hiawatha Roads at Woongarrah was completed in February 2015, several months ahead of schedule.
Sparks Road is the major road link between the M1 Pacific Motorway and the residential, tourist and beach areas of Gorokan, Toukley and Norah Head. The surrounding area is identified by the NSW Government as an area of significant growth. This project formed part of the NSW Government commitment for the development of the Central Coast through the Housing Acceleration Fund.
The features of the completed upgrade include:
- A new intersection for the new Warnervale town centre to provide safe access for all road users
- Increased capacity on Sparks Road with two lanes in each direction between Minnesota Road and the new Warnervale town centre intersection to reduce congestion and allow for future growth
- Two right turn lanes into Mary MacKillop Drive at the Minnesota Road intersection to ease congestion in peak periods
- Provision of street lighting on Sparks Road between Minnesota Road and the new Warnervale town centre intersection to improve safety
- New shared cyclist and pedestrian path between Minnesota Road and the new Warnervale town centre intersection to provide for cyclists
- Provision of on-road cycle lanes in both directions on Sparks Road through the project length.