Great Western Highway revised upgrade
The Australian and NSW governments have agreed on a revised package of upgrades for the Great Western Highway between Katoomba and Lithgow. The upgrades are aimed at improving road safety and travel conditions between Katoomba and Lithgow. This revised package addresses the recommendations from the independent review of the proposed upgrades of the Great Western Highway west of Katoomba.
In May 2010 the NSW and Australian governments announced an initial $250 million investment to fund upgrades between Mount Victoria and Lithgow including:
- Safety improvements around Victoria Pass and the township of Mount Victoria.
- A bypass to the south of Little Hartley, including intersection improvements at Coxs River Road, Baaners Lane and Browns Gap Road.
- The southern alignment option at River Lett Hill.
- Preserving the corridor so work could proceed on other sections when additional funding becomes available.
In September 2011 the NSW Government engaged Evans and Peck to carry out an independent review of the proposed upgrades of the Great Western Highway west of Katoomba.
The review was initiated after community members raised concerns about environmental, cultural, social and economic impacts of the upgrade. The review ensures that the best value for money is obtained from the investment.
The Independent Review of the proposed upgrades of the Great Western Highway west of Katoomba, is now available.
What happens next?
Roads and Maritime Services will manage and deliver the following projects by mid 2016:
- The upgrade of the highway to three lanes at Forty Bends, east of Lithgow. View further information on Forty Bends.
- Delivery of an enhanced safety works package between Lithgow and Mount Victoria. Safety works will include Little Hartley, Hartley and the Jenolan Caves Road intersection where major works were previously proposed. View further information on the safety enhancement program.
- Finalising the concept design and road boundaries for the upgrade of the highway from Lithgow to Mount Victoria and requesting Council to adopt this in their future planning.
- Using remaining funds from the joint $250 million Australian and NSW government commitment for upgrades of the Great Western Highway between Mount Victoria and Katoomba.