Dunmore Bridge - completed
The NSW Government upgraded the structural capacity of Dunmore Bridge to meet current load requirements and reduce future maintenance costs. The upgrade was completed and opened to traffic in October 2012.
Dunmore Bridge was built in 1899 and is heritage listed as one of the three remaining overhead-braced Allan Truss road bridges still in service in NSW.
The 130 metre bridge spans the Paterson River at Woodville and provides an important transport link between the rural community of Woodville and the service centre of Maitland.
Around 2,700 vehicles a day use the bridge and many of these are heavy vehicles.
The NSW Government provided $17.5 million to upgrade Dunmore Bridge under the Bridges for the Bush program. It was the first bridge completed under this program.
The bridge was upgraded to meet higher mass load requirements and reduce future maintenance costs. It involved rebuilding and upgrading all three truss spans, the approach span and building a new abutment on the Woodville side of the bridge.
- Reconstructing and upgrading of all three timber truss spans, including new stress laminated timber decks and traffic barriers
- Replacing the approach span and its abutment, which included driving steel piles and installing new concrete timber composite deck units
- Upgrading the deck and traffic barriers at the lift span to tie in with the upgraded truss spans
- Upgrading the road approaches and traffic barriers.