Lambton - Newcastle Road upgrade
Roads and Maritime Services has upgraded Newcastle Road at the Lloyd Road and Morehead Street intersections at Lambton to improve safety and traffic flow.
The upgrade involved installing traffic lights with pedestrian crossings at the Lloyd Road intersection and providing new pedestrian facilities across Morehead Street. The upgrade was completed in September 2015.
Newcastle Road is used by more than 45,000 vehicles a day and forms part of the major commuter and freight route connecting the M1 Pacific Motorway and the Hunter Expressway to the urban centre of Newcastle.
During peak travel times more than 3,500 vehicles per hour travel along Newcastle Road, with around 900 vehicles turning right at the intersections at Lloyd Road and just west of Morehead Street at Croudace Street.
Due to heavy traffic on Newcastle Road, motorists turning at the Lloyd Road and Croudace Street intersections experienced queuing and delays. There was also a crash history at the Lloyd Street intersection.
The NSW Government provided $2 million for this upgrade.
The project involved:
- Providing new pedestrian facilities across Morehead Street
- Installing traffic lights at the Lloyd Road intersection and extending the right turn bay on Newcastle Road to improve motorist safety. The new traffic lights would be coordinated with lights at Morehead Street and Lambton Road to maintain traffic flow
- Removing up to 16 parking spaces on Newcastle Road at the new traffic lights
- Installing pedestrian crossings on Lloyd and Newcastle Roads at the new traffic lights. A new pedestrian ramp and footpath will also be installed on Newcastle Road to improve safety and access to the nearby bus stop. Three trees may need to be removed to allow for the new pedestrian ramp and footpath
- Removing the central median pedestrian refuge east of Lloyd Road to encourage pedestrians to cross safely at the new traffic lights
- Providing a bus lane along Newcastle Road west of Lloyd Road to Verulam Road would improve bus and traffic flow, particularly in peak travel times
- Removing right turn access from Lloyd Road onto Newcastle Road. Alternative right turn access onto Newcastle Road is available via traffic lights at Morehead Street or Orlando Road
- Installing a new concrete median on Lloyd Road to direct traffic onto Newcastle Road and improve pedestrian safety
- Upgrading kerbs, gutters, drainage and lighting, and providing pram ramps at all pedestrian crossings
- Relocating utilities to accommodate upgraded facilities.