Luskintyre Bridge maintenance - completed
Roads and Maritime Services has completed major maintenance work on Luskintyre Bridge at Luskintyre, maintaining its capacity and reducing long term maintenance costs. The work was completed and opened to traffic in late November 2016. The NSW Government provided a total of $6.4 million for this major maintenance work which started in mid- 2014.
Luskintyre Bridge is located over the Hunter River on Luskintyre Road, around three kilometres north of the New England Highway at Luskintyre, near Lochinvar.
The bridge, which was the first road bridge of its class in NSW, was constructed in 1904 to improve access to the northern side of the Hunter River. It is one of only two surviving examples in NSW of an early steel Pratt truss bridge.
The bridge is listed as an item of environmental heritage under the Maitland Local Environmental Plan 2011 (LEP), as well as an item of State Heritage Significance under the Roads and Maritime Heritage and Conservation Register.
Given the age and condition of the bridge, routine maintenance was required to extend the life of the bridge and ensure it continued to serve the community well into the future.