Manning Street and Point Road intersection upgrade, Tuncurry
Roads and Maritime Services is planning to upgrade the Manning Street and Point Road intersection at Tuncurry to improve safety for motorists at the intersection.
Updates and announcements
Comments on the concept design for the intersection upgrade closed on Friday 12 May. Roads and Maritime will consider the feedback received to finalise the design. The community will be notified before work begins on the upgrade.
Comments on the concept design for the intersection upgrade closed on Friday 12 May.
Roads and Maritime will consider the feedback received to finalise the design.
The community will be notified before work begins on the upgrade.
Manning Street provides the link to/from Tuncurry to the Foster Tuncurry bridge, over the Coolongolook River, providing motorists a vital connection between Forster and Tuncurry.
Over the years, the intersection at Manning Street and Point Road, Tuncurry has become a safety issue for motorists.
In the five years between July 2011 and June 2016 there were 15 crashes at the intersection of Manning Street and Point Road, including five which resulted in injury. The majority of the crashes were the result of motorists attempting to turn right onto Manning Street from Point Road.
The NSW Government provided $100,000 in 2016/17 to plan for a proposed intersection upgrade to improve motorist safety at the intersection.
Roads and Maritime has considered several options for the intersection and has developed a proposal that will cater for traffic flows and improve safety at this location in the short and longer terms.
The project would involve:
- building a single lane roundabout at the intersection of Manning Street and Point Road to reduce the risk of crashes, particularly for motorists turning right onto Manning Street from Point Road
- changing line marking on Manning Street so eastbound motorists merge into one lane 130 metres before the proposed roundabout, to improve traffic flow on approach to the intersection
- upgrading the pedestrian refuge on Manning Street, north of the intersection, to provide a safer crossing location where pedestrians can cross one traffic lane at a time. The refuge will include the installation of kerbside concrete islands on Manning Street to reduce the crossing distance
- extending or changing the shape of the raised concrete median on Manning Street and Point Road. Vegetation in the central median on Manning Street will be removed, however the shrubs on the concrete island on the corner of Point Road will be retained
- installing guardrail on both sides of Manning Street, extending from the intersection to the existing guardrail on approach to the Forster-Tuncurry Bridge
- relocation of signs and lighting, where required.
To view the layout of the proposed intersection design, download the April 2017 project notification.
Upcoming activities include:
- Finalise the intersection design.