New England Highway and Racecourse Lane intersection upgrade, Whittingham
Roads and Maritime Services is upgrading this intersection to improve safety and reduce the risk of crashes.
The NSW Government is providing $3.3 million this financial year to upgrade the New England Highway and Racecourse Lane intersection to improve safety and reduce the risk of crashes.
The New England Highway is part of the inland route of the Sydney to Brisbane National Land Transport Network and the primary route connecting the Upper Hunter with Maitland and Newcastle, as well as a key link between regional towns in the Hunter, including areas planned for future growth.
In the five years between October 2012 and September 2017, there have been three crashes within 50 metres of the New England Highway and Racecourse Lane intersection.
The project includes:
- Providing a northbound overtaking lane south of Racecourse Lane
- Widening the shoulder on the eastern side of the highway
- Line marking changes to provide a wider central median
- Installing 700 metres of wire rope safety barrier adjacent to the southbound lanes
- Installing a U-turn bay on the northern side of old Range Road, to provide access to the highway for adjoining properties.
For more information please view or download the July 2018 project notification.
Work started on the intersection upgrade in July 2018.
Work is expected to be completed by October 2018, weather permitting.