Between 1996 and 2006 the then Roads and Traffic Authority carried out various investigations into the feasibility of providing a new crossing of the escarpment or improving the existing one at Bulli Pass.
Updates and announcements
For more information about Bulli Pass rock fall protection fencing and road closures in 2017 please visit the project page.
Details of these investigations and future steps regarding the ongoing management of Bulli Pass can be found in the Bulli Pass Strategic Review.
These reports have contributed to the planning needs for the Illawarra road network.and include the following outcomes:
- Construction of a road tunnel is cost prohibitive, potentially unsafe due to steep grades and unlikely to provide value for money
- Investing in a high cost solution will not improve the steep grade of the road
- The need to integrate strategic planning for the Illawarra road network with the Outer Sydney Orbital corridor investigations.
Next steps include:
- Prepare a corridor strategy for Bulli Pass between George Avenue and Bulli Tops, to define how travel needs will be managed over the next 20 years (currently underway)
- Continue maintenance activities on Bulli Pass.
- Prepare the Thirroul to Unanderra Network Strategy (currently expected during 2018), which will incorporate the traffic modelling for the Princes Highway through Bulli.