Illawarra Highway and Sheepwash Road, near Burrawang
The NSW Government is improving safety for road users by installing a roundabout at Illawarra Highway and Sheepwash Road, near Burrawang. Work is expected to start in early 2019.
Roads and Maritime Services investigated safety improvements at this intersection due to the high number of crashes.
The intersection is used by about 5000 vehicles each day (about 10 per cent heavy vehicles).
A roundabout was determined to be the best solution at this location as it will improve safety for road users at the intersection while maintaining traffic flow.
The installation of the roundabout involves resurfacing the road and construction of the roundabout, including line marking, signage and street lighting.
The improvements at this location include:
- Road widening
- New line marking and signage
- Installation of medians, centre island and traffic islands
- Removal and adjustment of existing street lighting
- Installation of a roundabout.
The new roundabout will:
- reduce the risk for road crashes
- minimise the severity of road crashes
- improve driver awareness.