M1 Princes Motorway improvements, Figtree to Dapto
Roads and Maritime Services is planning for future improvements to the M1 Princes Motorway between Figtree and Dapto.
About this project
As part of the planning process, Roads and Maritime will be investigating a range of design options to address the future needs of the region. The design process will identify potential upgrade options including:
- Widening the motorway to provide extra lanes
- Upgrading existing ramps to increase capacity and improve safety
- Adding new ramps and traffic signals at some interchanges
- Adding variable speed limit signs and other road signage.
The upgrades will aim to:
- Improve travel time and efficiency for motorists
- Improve freight accessibility into and out of the region including access to Port Kembla and heavy vehicle access to the Shoalhaven and South Coast
- Cater for traffic growth as a result of nearby development.
Roads and Maritime has carried out preliminary survey work and is currently carrying out a Preliminary Environmental Investigation for the project.
Further investigation work is planned to progress the project. This includes traffic modelling and preliminary design work.