M1 Princes Motorway Interchange at the base of Mount Ousley
Roads and Maritime Services is planning for an interchange on the M1 Princes Motorway at the base of Mount Ousley. The NSW Government has allocated $1 million in 2016/17 to continue planning for this project.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime has investigated various options for the interchange and has developed a preferred option for the project. Community feedback on the preferred option has now closed. Your feedback will be used to refine the design during the environmental assessment.
Roads and Maritime has investigated various options for the interchange and has developed a preferred option for the project.
Community feedback on the preferred option has now closed. Your feedback will be used to refine the design during the environmental assessment.
The interchange would replace the existing M1 / Mount Ousley Road intersection at the base of Mount Ousley. This would improve road safety and traffic efficiency at this location, reduce traffic congestion and address future traffic growth.
As part of the options development process, we investigated opportunities for a third southbound lane from just north of New Mt Pleasant Road to Mount Ousley Road which would complete three lanes in each direction on the M1 at Mount Ousley. The preferred option can cater for a future third southbound lane and this will be further investigated during concept design.
Key features of the preferred option:
- Separated truck bypass lanes to access Mount Ousley Road or travel under Mount Ousley Road and continue on the motorway to the south
- An overpass from Mount Ousley Road to safely access the motorway to travel north
- New entry to the University from the motorway southbound and Mount Ousley Road
- New exit from the University to Mount Ousley Road and the motorway northbound
- Pedestrian and cyclist bridge over Mount Ousley Road and the motorway which connects suburbs to the north with the University
- Relocated commuter car park with additional formalised parking spaces
- Can connect to a future third southbound lane on the Princes Motorway.
Benefits of the preferred option:
- Improved travel times for all vehicles
- Safer access to and from the motorway to Mount Ousley Road
- Improved access to the Wollongong CBD and University of Wollongong
- Improved safety by separating cars and trucks travelling down Mount Ousley
- Improved amenity for pedestrians and cyclists
- Reduced vehicle operating costs
- Provides for future traffic growth.
The next step for the project will be to develop the concept design and environmental assessment. This will have more detailed information about the design features, identification of impacts and their management during construction. We expect to have the concept design and environmental assessment on display for community comment in mid 2017.
The community will be kept informed and consulted as the project progresses.