Gore Hill Freeway
The Gore Hill Freeway is a four kilometre divided road between Merrenburn Avenue, Naremburn and the Pacific Highway, Lane Cove. The Freeway links the Warringah Freeway to harbour crossings from the north. It also connects with Longueville Road and the Pacific Highway at Lane Cove, Reservoir Road at Artarmon and Willoughby Road at Willoughby.
The primary function of the Freeway is to provide an alternative high-grade route from St Leonards to Lane Cove and to reduce traffic demands on the Pacific Highway throughout the region. The Gore Hill Freeway was completed in 1992.
Roads and Maritime Services initiated the Gore Hill Freeway project in response to increasing congestion on the Pacific Highway between St Leonards and Lane Cove and increasing traffic volumes on local roads. The freeway was designed to increase the capacity of the regional road network and to reduce travel times and distances travelled by motorists, as well as to provide a direct link to the Sydney Orbital Network.
- An underpass east of the north shore railway line provides safe access for pedestrians and cyclists at Chelmsford Avenue
- The retaining walls at the Naremburn and Pacific Highway underpasses feature animal shapes that originated from indigenous rock carvings. These shapes were reproduced and drilled onto the ribs of the walls by indigenous students.
Road users benefit from:
- Quicker journey times between St Leonards and Lane Cove
- Reduced traffic volumes on the Pacific Highway
- Inclusion of T2 transit lanes in both directions on the Freeway (built as part of the Lane Cove Tunnel Project)
- Access between the Gore Hill Freeway and the Pacific Highway north of Longueville Road via a new link along the line of Baden Powell Street.
Public transport users benefit from:
- Improved travel times for public transport travelling to and from the Sydney CBD
- Improved reliability of local bus services as a result of through traffic diverted to the Gore Hill Freeway
Local residents benefit from:
- Reduced traffic noise
- Improved local air quality
- Reduced traffic volumes on local roads in the lower North Shore.