Grafton Bridge - additional crossing of the Clarence River
The NSW Government is funding this $240 million project which involves building an additional bridge 70 metres downstream from the existing road and rail bridge. The project also includes upgrading parts of the road network in Grafton and South Grafton to connect the new bridge to the existing road network.
Updates and announcements
Feedback requested on the new bridge’s Urban Design and Landscape Plan
The new Grafton bridge project team is seeking feedback from the community on the new bridge’s Urban Design and Landscape Plan from 28 November until 16 December. Members of the community can view the plan and speak to the project team at a number of displays which will be held in Grafton and South Grafton. Details of the displays are provided in the community update which can be viewed on this page. Alternatively, you can view the Urban Design and Landscape Plan. Feedback on the plan can be provided by contacting the Community Relations Team.
Start of work
Major work has now started on the new Grafton Bridge. The work will start with vegetation clearing on Pound Street, house removal and the levee system. Work on the bridge itself will start in early 2017.
A new digital portal is now available and includes 3D visualisations about the project and animations to explain how the project is being built. This will be continually update with new information.
A Hydrological Mitigation Report has been published and is available in the project documents along with a fact sheet and a short video to explain how the flooding impact has been minimised.
- Contractors: Fulton Hogan
- Form of contract: Design and construct contract
- Start date of major construction: November 2016
- Expected completion date: 2019 (weather permitting)
- Project value: $240 million
Project purpose and objectives
- Enhance road safety for all road users over the length of the project
- Improve traffic efficiency between and within Grafton and South Grafton
- Support regional and local economic development
- Involve all stakeholders and consider their interests
- Provide value for money
- Minimise impact on the environment