Benefits of the project
The upgrade of this section of the Oxley Highway will have major benefits for the local community and through traffic. These include:
- Improved road safety and reduced traffic and noise for residents living near the highway
- Better travel times for motorists travelling from Wauchope and surrounding areas into Port Macquarie
- Improved access for all road users, including cyclists and pedestrians
- Extensive landscaping and urban design initiatives including 'gateway features' at both ends of the project.
You can view and download larger versions of preferred option diagrams from the box at the bottom of this page.
The Review of Environmental Factors and Species Impact Statement have been completed. These contain a comprehensive range of measures to mitigate adverse environmental effects of the upgrade and protect flora and fauna. These include:
- Fauna underpasses
- Narrowing the corridor to allow the movement of the Yellow Bellied Glider
- Fauna exclusion fencing
- Replanting disturbed areas
- Protection of indigenous artefacts found within the road corridor
- Noise attenuation
- Protection against water contamination of water quality and soil erosion
- Planting of food trees for Koalas and Glossy Black Cockatoos.
Community feedback has provided valuable input for developing the preferred option and detailed design.
Following an assessment of all submissions received, key areas of concern have been identified and are considered in the preferred option.
Following environmental approvals, RMS sought community comment on aspects of the detailed design such as landscaping and intersection layouts.