Woodburn to Ballina upgrade
The Pacific Highway upgrade between Woodburn and Ballina involves a 32 kilometre dual carriageway upgrade of the Pacific Highway. Planning for this project was funded by the NSW Government.
The Woodburn to Ballina project includes grade-separated interchanges at Woodburn, Broadwater Evans Head Road and Coolgardie Road, Wardell. The existing highway would be retained as a local service road for residents. The upgrade bypasses Woodburn, Broadwater and Wardell.
Northbound and southbound rest areas for trucks and cars including a heavy vehicle inspection bay would be provided south of Old Bagotville Road.
This project now forms part of the Woolgoolga to Ballina project.
Brief history of the project
- March 2008: Concept design announced and displayed for community comment including a number of refinements to the preferred route
- October 2006: Ongoing consultation with the community regarding interchange locations and access arrangements
- November 2005: Preferred route announced and displayed for community comment
- May 2005: Route options announced and display for community comment
- November 2004: Investigations commenced into the upgrade of the Pacific Highway including community consultation to identify a study area and route options.