About this project
The Berry to Bomaderry upgrade will provide a four-lane divided highway (two lanes in each direction) with median separation for around 10.6 kilometres on the Princes Highway between Mullers Lane, Berry and Cambewarra Road, Bomaderry.
In March 2006 Roads and Maritime Services announced, through a series of community workshops and information days, a proposal to upgrade the Princes Highway between Gerringong and Bomaderry to a four lane highway with median separation.
In November 2007 Roads and Maritime displayed the route options and in June 2009, announced a preferred option for the upgrade of the Princes Highway between Gerringong and Bomaderry. Roads and Maritime is now carrying out the planning and construction of these projects separately:
- Gerringong upgrade – Mount Pleasant to Toolijooa Road (construction completed August 2015)
- Foxground and Berry bypass – Toolijooa Road to just south of Andersons Lane (construction started January 2015)
- Berry to Bomaderry upgrade – Mullers Lane to Cambewarra Road (in planning).
The Berry to Bomaderry upgrade will include the following key features:
- A 100km/h speed limit north of Abernethys Lane
- An overpass at Pestells Lane and Meroo Road
- An underpass at Devitts Lane and Morschels Lane for local road access
- An overpass at Strongs Road and Jaspers Brush Road for local road access
- Protected right turn bays to northbound and southbound u-turn bays
- A heavy vehicle inspection bay near Jaspers Brush
- A total of eight bridges over waterways
- Fauna friendly features in the bridge designs at Flying Fox Creek, Jaspers Brush Creek and Wileys Creek
- A widened Flying Fox Creek bridge to allow for a vehicle access track under the bridge and away from the creek's edge to reduce environmental impacts
- One metre wide footpaths and two metre wide road shoulders at Jaspers Brush / Strongs Road overpass, Morschels Lane / Devitts Lane underpass and Pestells Lane / Meroo Road half-interchange
- Increased road shoulder widths to three metres, where possible, with vehicle breakdown bays at regular intervals
- Left-in / left-out direct property access to the upgraded highway
- A cutting at Strongs Road, Jaspers Brush, around 300 metres long and up to 10 metres deep, in addition to various smaller cuttings along the proposal
- Modifications to local roads, including Strongs Road, Jaspers Brush Road, Morschels Lane, Devitts Lane, Pestells Lane and Abernethys Lane
- Modifications to the highway geometry in the vicinity of Tandingulla Creek Bridge to reduce noise and visual impacts
- Relocation and upgrade of existing bus stops at Mullers Lane, Croziers Road, Strongs Road, Morschels Lane, Lamonds Lane and Boxsells Lane
- Drainage and flood mitigation structures.
- Will complete a minimum four-lane divided route between Sydney and Jervis Bay Road, south of Nowra
- Improving safety for all road users and local residents accessing the Princes Highway between Mullers Lane, Berry and Cambewarra Road, Bomaderry
- Improving traffic efficiency for road users on the NSW South Coast
- Supporting regional and local economic development
- Improving safety by providing a median and barriers to separate opposing traffic flows and by providing wider road shoulders.