Landslips on Clyde Mountain

June 2013

What happened?

A week of extreme weather in the Clyde Mountain area in late June 2013 saw over 200mm of rain fall in 48 hours and winds of over 50km/h. At around 1.30pm on Tuesday 25 June 2013 a landslip occurred on the Kings Highway at Clyde Mountain and closed the highway for several hours. Over 600 cubic metres of debris was dislodged from the slope above the highway. Most of the debris was caught in the rock fall fence with some spilling onto the road.

How was the road cleared?

After the initial closure and clean up on 25 June, the highway was closed again to traffic Wednesday 26 June for 32 hours while work was carried out to safely clear up debris.

Clean up involved the removal of the debris from the road and the replacement of the rock fall fence and involved blasting to remove some hazardous rock exposed during the slip. To safely open the highway in time for the NSW and ACT school holidays Roads and Maritime Services built an earth mound with the remaining debris and temporary mesh fencing to form a protective barrier to open one lane of traffic. Work to clear the remaining debris and re-install the permanent rock fall fence was carried out progressively panel by panel both at night and during the day under stop slow conditions.

The highway was re-opened to both lanes of traffic on 11 July 2013.

You can view photos of the slip and recovery work carried out by Roads and Maritime on the photo galleries page.

April 2012

What happened?

The Kings Highway closed to traffic in both directions on the Clyde Mountain near Pooh Corner, west of Nelligen on Friday 20 April 2012 at around 1pm after a landslide. Roads and Maritime and Eurobodalla Shire Council worked over the weekend and Anzac Day to reopen the road as quickly as possible.

More than 1400 tonnes of rock and debris was cleared from the road, including unstable trees from the mountain. Temporary rock fall protection barriers were installed. Roads and Maritime carried out a number of geotechnical inspections to confirm that work to repair the site was sufficiently complete for the road to be safely reopened.

The Kings Highway at Pooh Corner, west of Nelligen reopened to all traffic on Thursday 26 April 2012.

How was the road cleared?

A preliminary geotechnical inspection on Saturday 21 April 2012 helped determine the extent of the landslide, the stability of the slope and advised on safe methods to start clearing the debris. Eurobodalla Shire Council managed all work on site. Tree contractors were engaged to remove overhanging trees. The damaged fence and steel cables were removed, An excavator progressively worked its way up the fallen material to remove loose material from up slope, and removed the large volume of material that had been brought down.

Further geotechnical inspections on Sunday 22 April 2012 and again on Anzac Day 2012 found there was no additional cracking on the upper slope and that it was stable.

While the fallen debris was being cleared, Roads and Maritime and Council worked out the best temporary catch fence arrangement, which was then procured. The catch fence was installed on Wednesday 25 April after completion of the debris removal. The road was cleaned and crash barriers and rock fall barriers put in place.

You can view photos of the slip and recovery work carried out by Roads and Maritime and Eurobodalla Shire Council on the photo galleries page.

Share this page: