About this project
This project is being developed to improve conditions on the Princes Highway over the Shoalhaven River in Nowra.
The NSW State Government has invested $1.6 million in the project with the Federal Government committing $10 million to complete planning.
During early investigations, the project team identified some key issues with the current crossing of the Shoalhaven River at Nowra:
- Increasing maintenance difficulties with the old Nowra Bridge
- Increasing congestion issues in peak times from local traffic
- Some large and heavy trucks cannot use the old Nowra Bridge
- High risk of damage and closure of the old Nowra Bridge from an impact by an over height vehicle
- Increased demand and future traffic growth.
Around 44,000 vehicles cross the Shoalhaven River on an average day. Any extensive closures of the iron truss bridge due to maintenance or emergency repairs would cause major delays to the network around Nowra. During early planning it became clear that the project should focus on a new bridge that could address these key issues.