Facts and figures
Travel time savings
As a result of the duplication project, it has been estimated that travel times between Sydney and Melbourne have been reduced by three hours.
Improvements to road safety
Road safety on the Hume Highway has significantly improved since the duplication started. As well as the improved road conditions, safer vehicles, compulsory seat belts and better policing tools such as radar guns and breath testing have been introduced. The table below provides a snap shot at the reduction of road related injuries and fatalities on the Hume Highway since 1976:
- The length of the Hume in NSW runs for 514km.
- During construction, 60 to 70 million cubic metres of earth were moved.
- A total of 96 new bridges were built.
- 300km of new underground pipes have been laid to allow adequate drainage.
- A 600km safety fence has been installed.
- The duplication of the Hume Highway created more than 80,000 jobs in NSW.
- There are 22 major bypasses along the length of the Hume.
- 1.1 million tonnes of asphalt, and 2.5 million cubic metres of concrete was laid over the period of construction.