History of Hume Highway

  • Mid-2013: 9.5 km Holbrook Bypass opened completing the duplication of the Hume Highway
  • 2007: Wodonga becomes last Victorian section to be duplicated
  • 2007: Tarcutta truck changeover facility opened
  • 2006: Higher Mass Limits (HML) introduced
  • 1986: B-Double heavy vehicles commence operation on the Hume Highway
  • 1979: Truck blockade on Razorback Range
  • 1974: Passing of the National Roads Act with the Federal Government assuming full responsibility for construction of National Highways
  • 1970: Dual carriageway north of Goulburn
  • 1967: The last single-lane bridge on the Hume Highway eliminated
  • 1961: Union Bridge over the Murray River opened
  • 1961: The first 4 lane modern freeway standard section was completed in Victoria at Craigieburn
  • 1959: First curve advisory speed signs
  • 1954/55: Route 31 signs erected over the full length of the Hume Highway
  • 1954: Commencement of the Remembrance Driveway project in NSW
  • 1940: Hume Highway now fully sealed
  • 1932: Dog on the Tucker Box monument erected north of Gundagai
  • 1931: Lorry checking station built at Marulan
  • 1928: Government Gazette N0 110 proclaimed the Great Southern Road as a State Highway, giving it the name 'Hume Highway'
  • 1922: The song 'The Road to Gundagai' first published
  • May 1900: Melbourne mechanic Herbert Thomson completed the first vehicular trip between Sydney and Melbourne
  • 1896: Concrete arch bridge at Black Bobs Creek in NSW opened
  • 1884: Mr A. Edward completed the first bicycle ride from Sydney to Melbourne
  • 1867: Prince Alfred Bridge over the Murrumbidgee River at Gundagai opened. It was the first iron truss road bridge to be built in NSW and remains in use
  • 1860: First bridge across Murray River
  • 1858: The Great Southern Road, proclaimed as one of the three main roads in the NSW Colony
  • 1851: Victoria becomes separate colony
  • 1838: Albury surveyed and declared the official Murray River crossing place
  • 1836-1842: Towrang Stockade housed up to 250 convicts engaged in the construction of the Great Southern Road
  • 1836: First settlements in Albury Wodonga area
  • 1836: Ten Mile Creek (later Germanton, later Holbrook) founded
  • 1836: Lennox's stone arch bridge over Prospect Creek, Lansdowne opened and remains in use
  • 1835: Melbourne founded
  • 3 October 1824: Hamilton Hume and William Hovell began their southward exploration and reached the coast near Geelong on 16 December 1824
  • 1819: Governor Macquarie ordered the construction of a 'cart road' to the Goulburn area
  • 1805: The first road leading southward from Sydney, population 3163
  • 1788: Sydney founded.
Share this page: