Abbotsford Wharf upgrade
The NSW Government is upgrading Abbotsford Wharf as part of the Transport Access Program. The upgraded Abbotsford Wharf will open on Tuesday 5 June 2018.
Updates and announcements
The upgraded Abbotsford Wharf will open on Tuesday 5 June 2018. F3 Parramatta River ferry services will resume from 6.00am on Tuesday 5 June from Abbotsford Wharf. The temporary shuttle bus, route 437, to Chiswick will no longer operate. Customers can visit transportnsw.info or call 131 200 for timetable and service information. Thank you for your patience during construction of the upgraded wharf. For more information please view or download the latest community update (PDF, 95.7Kb).
The upgraded Abbotsford Wharf will open on Tuesday 5 June 2018.
F3 Parramatta River ferry services will resume from 6.00am on Tuesday 5 June from Abbotsford Wharf. The temporary shuttle bus, route 437, to Chiswick will no longer operate.
Customers can visit transportnsw.info or call 131 200 for timetable and service information.
Thank you for your patience during construction of the upgraded wharf.
For more information please view or download the latest community update (PDF, 95.7Kb).
The upgrade of Abbotsford Wharf is part of a wider program of transport improvements for the Parramatta River, including upgraded wharves, increased ferry services and procurement of four new ferries for the Parramatta River.
This program has already delivered new facilities at Neutral Bay, Rose Bay, Balmain (Thames Street), Huntleys Point, Cremorne Point, Mosman Bay, Drummoyne, Balmain East, Sydney Olympic Park, Pyrmont Bay, Meadowbank, McMahons Point, Cockatoo Island and Chiswick and Milsons Point.
For more information on the Abbotsford Wharf Upgrade please view or download the latest Community update.
The new Abbotsford wharf
The upgraded wharf is designed to provide customers with an improved public transport experience.
The upgraded wharf would provide:
- protection from the wind, rain and sun
- improved seating and waiting areas
- improved access for mobility impaired customers and customers with prams
- quicker and more efficient ferry boarding and disembarking
- effective wayfinding signage
- new lighting.
What to expect during the upgrade
Construction will take about four months to complete, weather and maritime conditions permitting. Activities during construction will include:
- establishing the site compound
- installing fencing, site hoarding and sheds
- removing the existing wharf
- installing steel piles
- upgrading the remaining section of the bridge structure including new cover
- installing the new covered pontoon connected to the entry bridge by the new covered gangway
- installing new seating and glass weather screening on the pontoon
- upgrading the existing stairs leading from Werrell Reserve
- marking a new kiss and ride zone
- installing new bicycle racks.
A temporary construction site compound will be established for the duration of the project. The exact location will be determined following further discussion with City of Canada Bay Council.
For more information on what to expect during construction view of download the project poster.
Alternative transport during construction
Abbotsford Wharf will be closed during the wharf upgrade and alternative transport arrangements will be in place during construction.
For more information on alternative transport options during construction view or download the information poster.
Initial consultation for the Abbotsford Wharf Upgrade was carried out in 2015. The feedback received helped us to understand our customer’s views about the current facilities and priorities for improvement. Following consultation and feedback on the proposed concept design in May and June 2017, the proposed design was revised to include cover on the gangway and a new covered wharf entry.
The Review of Environmental Factors was on display for public feedback in October 2017. Roads and Maritime has prepared a report responding to all of the issues raised in submissions received.
View or download the Submissions report.
View or download:
- Community update - May 2018
- Alternative transport poster - January 2018
- Notification - January 2018
- Community Update - December 2017
- Abbotsford Wharf Submissions Report - December 2017
- Overview poster
- The upgraded wharf poster
- What to expect during construction poster
- Further information poster
- Abbotsford Wharf Review of Environmental Factors – September 2017
- Abbotsford Wharf Review of Environmental Factors Appendices – September 2017
- Review of Environmental Factors FactSheet Info - September 2017