ANZAC Obelisk on Anzac Parade reinstatement

The NSW Government has funded the refurbishment of ANZAC Obelisk on Anzac Parade, Moore Park.

Roads and Maritime Services has refurbished the ANZAC Obelisk on Anzac Parade and has relocated it to Moore Park.

The official unveiling of the ANZAC Obelisk took place on 15 March 2017 where its relocation to its permanent home at the northern end of Anzac Parade at Moore Park was celebrated.

View or download the Commemoration of the Centenary of the ANZAC Obelisk Program.

Roads and Maritime Services is the owner and custodian of this significant war memorial which is one of the earliest monuments dedicated to the role of the ANZACs during the Great War. The war memorial was established as part of the reconfiguration of Anzac Parade on 15 March 1917, less than one year after the inauguration of ANZAC Day.

The new location for the Anzac Obelisk provides a suitable visual setting, improves public and pedestrian access to the war memorial and is within the State Heritage Listed Moore Park precinct. The location was chosen after extensive consultation with key stakeholders including the Returned and Services League of Australia (NSW Branch), Centennial Parklands and the NSW Heritage Division.

1917 view of the Obelisk at the northern end of Anzac Parade. (Source: Fairfax)
1917 view of the Obelisk at the northern end of Anzac Parade. (Source: Fairfax)

Project background

The ANZAC Obelisk on Anzac Parade was erected at the northern end of Anzac Parade in 1917. It is an important historic landmark and one of the earliest war memorials in NSW. It was constructed to mark the renaming of Randwick Road to Anzac Parade and dedicated to the memory of those who served from New South Wales during the Great War.

The original location of the ANZAC Obelisk was at the start of Anzac Parade, at the intersection with Moore Park Road. During construction of the Eastern Distributor in 1998, it was moved to further south along Anzac Parade. In 2014, the Shared Path Bridge over Anzac Parade at Moore Park project commenced, requiring a further relocation. The Obelisk was removed in 2014 and conservation work to the monument has been carried out. The installation of the Obelisk started on Monday 9 January 2017.

The environmental assessment for the relocation of the Obelisk was completed as part of the Albert “Tibby” Cotter Walkway Review of Environmental Factors (REF) in 2014. The REF was placed on public display between 21 March and 13 April 2014 for community and stakeholder comment.

A report was prepared responding to issues raised, however, at the time a permanent location for the Obelisk had not been identified. A further REF assessment was carried out to address the impact of the proposed modification

Location of the ANZAC Obelisk

Roads and Maritime commissioned heritage consultants to provide a consolidated heritage analysis on the relocation of the Obelisk. We engaged with key stakeholders including Centennial Parklands, Returned and Services League of Australia (NSW) and the City of Sydney to determine the right location for the Obelisk.

Ten locations were investigated as part of the heritage analysis and stakeholder engagement. The chosen location is at the northern end of Anzac Parade within Moore Park East.

The location provides an improved setting for the Obelisk, allowing for the reinstatement of an appropriate landscape setting and provides a strong opportunity for public access and interpretation.

2017 view of the Obelisk at its new permanent location
2017 view of the Obelisk at its new permanent location

Addendum review of environmental factors for ANZAC Parade Obelisk Reinstatement

Project update

December 2016

Share this page: