Birchgrove Wharf upgrade
The NSW Government is upgrading Birchgrove Wharf as part of the Transport Access Program. Planning for the new wharf is currently underway. Following consultation and feedback in March 2017 the Review of Environmental Factors has been prepared and will be displayed for community feedback until Monday 11 September 2017.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime Services have prepared a Review of Environmental Factors for the proposal, which will be displayed for community feedback until Monday 11 September 2017. The Review of Environmental Factors outlines details of the proposed upgrade, potential project impact and how this will be managed. The Review of Environmental Factors considers and assesses potential environmental factors. Customer experience, operational requirements and feedback from previous consultation have also been considered in the planning process.
Roads and Maritime Services have prepared a Review of Environmental Factors for the proposal, which will be displayed for community feedback until Monday 11 September 2017.
The Review of Environmental Factors outlines details of the proposed upgrade, potential project impact and how this will be managed. The Review of Environmental Factors considers and assesses potential environmental factors. Customer experience, operational requirements and feedback from previous consultation have also been considered in the planning process.View or download the Review of Environmental Factors (PDF, 3.89Mb) and Appendices (PDF, 31Mb).
You can also view the Review of Environmental Factors at the following locations:
- Inner West Council, Leichhardt Service Centre, 7-15 Wetherill Street, Leichhardt
- Roads and Maritimes Service Head Office, 20-44 Ennis Road, Milsons Point
Feedback must be received by Monday 11 September an can be sent to:
- Mail: Wharf Upgrade Program – Birchgrove
Locked Bag 928
North Sydney NSW 2059
- Email: email@example.com
The upgrade is part of the major progressive upgrade of ferry wharves across Sydney Harbour which aims to improve Sydney’s ferry services for customers, delivering accessible, safe, comfortable public transport infrastructure with capacity for extra ferry services. New and upgraded wharves and interchanges are being delivered as part of the NSW Government’s Transport Access Program.
This program has most recently delivered upgraded facilities at Cremorne Point, Mosman Bay, Pyrmont, Meadowbank and McMahons Point, and work to upgrade Chiswick Wharf began in February.
The new Birchgrove Wharf
The upgraded wharf is designed to provide customers with accessible, safe and comfortable public transport infrastructure.
The upgraded wharf would provide:
- Better protection from the wind, rain and sun
- Improved seating and waiting areas
- Improved safety for customers
- Quicker and more efficient ferry boarding and disembarking
- Effective wayfinding signage and lighting.
View or download the Birchgrove Wharf upgraded design for more information.
What to expect during the upgrade
Construction is expected to start in the last quarter of 2017 following careful consideration of all feedback received and approval of final plans. Work to upgrade the wharf would take about five months, weather and maritime conditions permitting.
As planning progresses construction details for the proposed upgrade would be considered in the Review of Environmental Factors, which would be put on public display for comment before start of work. It is expected that:
- Birchgrove Wharf would be closed during the upgrade
- Some night work would be required when the water is at its calmest
- A temporary construction compound would be established on land
- Construction workers and equipment would usually be transported to and from the site by water.
Read about what to expect during construction.
Alternative transport during construction
Birchgrove Wharf will be closed during the wharf upgrade.
Customers will be able to catch the 441 bus service, operating between Grove Street, Birchgrove and the QVB Market Street, direct to the city or to connect with other bus services on Victoria Road.
The temporary closure of Birchgrove Wharf will not affect the timetable for ferry services to other wharves.
We encourage customers to plan their trip at transportnsw.info or call Transport Info on 131 500 or by visiting to use the trip planner.
Customers would need to allow extra time for your journey.
View or download the alternative transport information.
Initial consultation for the Birchgrove Wharf Upgrade was carried out in 2015. The feedback received helped us to understand our customer’s views about the current facilities and priorities for improvement.
We are currently seeking community feedback in regards to the Review of Environmental Factors.
Have your say
The Review of Environmental Factors has been produced and will be displayed for community feedback from Monday 21 August to Monday 11 September 2017.
Feedback and comments are due by Monday 11 September 2017.
For more information on the process please view or download the information sheet.
View or download:
- August 2017 – Community update
- Birchgrove Wharf project overview – August 2017
- Birchgrove Wharf Review of Environmental Factors – August 2017
- Birchgrove Wharf Review of Environmental Factors Appendices – August 2017
- More information on the Review of Environmental Factors Process – August 2017
- What to expect during construction – August 2017
- Alternative Transport Information – August 2017
- The Upgraded Wharf – August 2017
- February 2017 - Community update
- The upgraded wharf
- What to expect during construction
- Further information
- More on the Transport Access Program