Elizabeth Bay Marina
The NSW Government is proposing to upgrade the Elizabeth Bay Marina to improve its functionality, amenity and safety for water users and the local community. The existing Marina structure is deteriorating and no longer meets current engineering and maritime safety standards and needs to be upgraded.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime is seeking feedback on the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) for the refined design. Community Feedback on the REF closes on 31 March 2017. Two community information sessions are being held locally for community members to discuss the project with the project team members. All feedback will be considered when approving the project for the next stage.
Roads and Maritime is seeking feedback on the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) for the refined design. Community Feedback on the REF closes on 31 March 2017.
Two community information sessions are being held locally for community members to discuss the project with the project team members.
All feedback will be considered when approving the project for the next stage.
Elizabeth Bay Marina is located at the end of Ithaca Road, Elizabeth Bay, near Beare Park. The marina has existed for over 100 years and is a popular place for boaters, kayakers, residents and tourists visiting the area.
Over time the timber elements have deteriorated and Roads and Maritime is now proposing to upgrade the marina to improve safety and amenity for water users and the local community.
The marina upgrade will provide:
- Improved marina facilities for the boating community
- More reliable operations aimed at preventing damage to boats and the marina due to flooding at high tides
- Improved facilities, better security, and safer water access for kayaks, paddleboards and other small vessels
- Improved café facilities located at the end of the marina
- Improved access to the marina, including disabled access
- A boating destination marina to give boaters access to facilities and amenities, and to improve their Sydney Harbour boating experience.
In September and October last year, Roads and Maritime Services sought feedback from the community on three concept designs, and 169 submissions were received during this period.
The ‘Contemporary’ option was preferred by the majority of the community, and a number of comments on specific features of each design were provided. The main concerns raised were:
- design too ‘blocky’ and not enough windows
- height of the building
- location and design of the kayak ramp.
Roads and Maritime considered all of the feedback and revised the design to ensure the proposed marina provides modern facilities and respects the character of the local area.
Review of Environmental Factors (REF)
We are seeking your feedback on the Review of Environmental Factors that has been completed for the project. We invite feedback on the REF to be submitted by 31 March.
View or download the REF documents:
All issues raised will be addressed in a community consultation report and this report will be made available to download when completed.
The REF is also available at:
- City of Sydney Council, Town Hall House, Level 2, 456 Kent Street, Sydney
- Kings Cross Neighbourhood Centre, 50-52 Darlinghurst Road, Kings Cross
- Roads and Maritime office, 33 James Craig Road, Rozelle.
Two information sessions are being held to provide an opportunity for the community to view the revised design and discuss details of the design with the project team.
The sessions will be held:
- Beare Park at the end of Ithaca Road, Elizabeth Bay on Saturday 11 March from10am–1pm
- Reginald Murphy Centre, 19 Greenknowe Ave, Elizabeth Bay on Wednesday 15 March from 6pm–9pm.
The feedback gathered from the community during the REF display period will be taken into account when determining the REF and seeking approval to proceed.