Princes Highway and Railway Road, Sydenham
The NSW Government is funding this project as part of its $300 million Gateway to the South Pinch Points Program which aims to ease congestion and improve journey reliability on Sydney’s key southern corridors.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime Services will be carrying out intersection improvements at Princes Highway and Railway Road, Sydenham, in mid 2019. For more information please view or download the July Project Update (PDF, 488Kb).
Roads and Maritime Services will be carrying out intersection improvements at Princes Highway and Railway Road, Sydenham, in mid 2019.
For more information please view or download the July Project Update (PDF, 488Kb).
Currently, a high volume of southbound road users turn right from Railway Road onto the Princes Highway, causing the left turning traffic to be blocked by vehicles queuing to turn right, causing congestion at the intersection, particularly during weekday peak periods.
Princes Highway, forming part of the A1 route, and Railway Road are both State roads that play a significant role in the road network.
The A1 route is nationally significant and sections are designated as part of the National Land Transport Network.
The work includes:
- Widening on the south western side of Railway Road to provide an additional southbound right turn lane from Railway Road onto the Princes Highway
- Removing about five trees, and trimming about four trees to accommodate the additional right turn lane
- Relocating the existing pedestrian crossing on Princes Highway to the north eastern side of the intersection
- Maintaining Stewart Lane access to left in and left out only
- Upgrading traffic signals and phasing
- Reconstructing the footpath and installing pram ramps on the southern side of Railway Road
- Relocating utilities
- Installing new drainage and signage
- Road surfacing and painting line markings.
In April 2017, Roads and Maritime invited feedback from local businesses, residents and stakeholders on a proposal for intersection improvements at Princes Highway and Railway Road, Sydenham.
After considering all responses, along with the proposal's aims and design requirements, we have decided to proceed with the proposal with the addition of a signalised pedestrian crossing for the left slip lane from Railway Road on to the Princes Highway.
Providing signals on the left slip lane will enable Roads and Maritime to better manage the demand and queuing of the left turn from Railway Road on to Princes Highway. It will also improve pedestrian safety and provide priority for vehicles to safely turn on to Princes Highway.
We will keep you updated on construction timelines as our design progresses. At this stage, construction is expected to start in mid 2019.
For more information please view or download the July Project Update.
|Media Release - 14 April - Easing congestion on Railway Road at Sydenham||29.5Kb|