Balls Head Coal Loader
The Balls Head Coal Loader wharf is located on the western shore of the Waverton Peninsula in the North Sydney local government area, in Balls Head Bay. The Coal Loader is part of the historic Balls Head coal loading facility on adjacent land owned by North Sydney Council.
The wharf was built around 1917 and was originally used to store coal for bunkering vessels. From the 1970s it was used as a transshipment facility for exporting coal from the Hunter Valley. Wharf operations ended in 1992.
Current condition of the Coal Loader wharf
The wharf’s waterside structures are in poor condition and public access to the site is not permitted. Termites and weather damage are deteriorating the timber structure. Pieces of timber from the wharf frequently dislodge from the structure and often fall into the water. This can become a navigational hazard to vessels in Sydney Harbour. To reduce the risk, a steel mesh containment barrier has been installed around the base of the wharf. Roads and Maritime Services also inspects the wharf regularly and removes dislodged timber pieces.
Ongoing inspections of the outer structure and emergency work will be carried out until a decision is made on the future of the wharf.