Project 2 - Epping Road upgrade
Epping Town Centre is one of eight precincts under the NSW Government’s Urban Activation Precincts Program 2013, which aims to deliver more homes in places with access to infrastructure, transport, services and jobs. As a result of this work, Roads and Maritime Services has received funding to improve road infrastructure in the area.
Roads and Maritime is proposing two projects in Epping Town Centre to support the development of this precinct:
- Project 1: Upgrading the Beecroft Road and Carlingford Road intersection
- Project 2: Widening Epping Road westbound between Essex Street and Blaxland Road, including the upgrade of the intersection at Epping Road and Essex Street.
View or download the project map.
The key features of the proposed upgrade include:
- Widening the southern side of Epping Road by about 3.7 metres between Essex Street and Blaxland Road to provide an additional westbound lane. The additional westbound lane would function as a dedicated left turn lane into Blaxland Road
- Upgrading the Epping Road and Essex Street intersection including:
- Widening the north-eastern side of the intersection to provide an additional right turn lane onto Epping Road westbound. This would provide two marked right turn lanes and an unmarked shared left turn/through lane
- Providing new traffic light pedestrian crossings and pram ramps on all four approaches to the intersection
- Building a raised central median about 340 metres long on Epping Road between Essex Street and Blaxland Road
- Building a raised median about 20 metres long on Essex Street north of Epping Road intersection
- Removal of right turns into and out of Forest Grove and Smith streets
- Removal of the right turn from Langston Place onto Epping Road westbound
- Removal of the right turn from Epping Road into Essex Street in both directions
- Providing a left turn lane from Essex Street onto Epping Road westbound.
We sought comments from the community and stakeholders on the proposal in August and December 2014. The feedback received was considered in the preparation of the Review of Environmental Factors.
The Review of Environmental Factors was placed on public display for the proposed widening of Epping Road between Essex Street and Blaxland Road (Project 2). We would like to thank everyone who took time to consider our proposal and provide feedback. No changes to the proposal design have been made following display of the REF. However, additional mitigation measures and safeguards have been added to minimise any impacts.
A Community Consultation Report summarising comments and responses for the proposed widening of Epping Road between Essex Street and Blaxland Road was released in September 2016.
Roads and Maritime will continue to keep the community updated.