Lane Cove Tunnel
The Lane Cove Tunnel is a 3.6 kilometre twin tunnel motorway running under Epping Road. It links the M2 Motorway at North Ryde with the Gore Hill Freeway at Artarmon.
Roads and Maritime initiated the Lane Cove Tunnel project in response to a marked increase in traffic on Epping Road following the completion of the Gore Hill Freeway. The Lane Cove Tunnel was designed to divert traffic from Epping Road, reduce travel times between the north-west and the city and provide a direct link between the north-west and The Sydney Orbital Network.
- Dedicated 24 hour bus lanes in both directions between Mowbray Road and Parklands Avenue
- Transit lanes - a morning peak T3 lane on Epping Road citybound between Pittwater Road and Mowbray Road West and a two hour T2 lane in each direction on the Gore Hill Freeway between the Pacific Highway and Merrenburn Avenue
- A new bus interchange at the Longueville Road/Epping Road intersection near Parklands Avenue, Lane Cove
- A 7.5 kilometre pedestrian and cycle path from Wicks Road, North Ryde to Naremburn
- A new pedestrian overpass at Longueville Road linking to the new bus interchange
- A 7.5 kilometre shared pedestrian and cycle path linking Crows Nest and North Ryde
- Improved cyclist facilities on Epping Road.
The Lane Cove Tunnel project was carefully planned and designed to bring significant benefits to road users, pedestrians and local communities.
Benefits for road users from:
- A direct link to the expanding Sydney Orbital Road network
- Dramatic cuts in travel times with the bypass of five sets of traffic lights on Epping Road
- Improved traffic flow with additional lanes across Lane Cove River Bridge
- Two additional transit lanes on the Gore Hill Freeway
- New access to Warringah Freeway from Falcon Street and more capacity on the Pacific Highway.
Public transport users benefit from:
Time savings during the morning peak period:
- Macquarie Park to CBD – eight minutes (31 per cent)
- Macquarie Park to North Sydney – eight minutes (40 per cent)
- Macquarie Park to Cremorne– 15 minutes (52 per cent).
Time savings during the afternoon peak period:
- CBD to Macquarie Park – 17 minutes (49 per cent)
- North Sydney to Macquarie Park – 17 minutes (57 per cent)
- Cremorne to Macquarie Park – 23 minutes (56 per cent).
Local access benefits
- A new right turn lane from Epping Road westbound at Parklands Avenue
- A new right turn lane from Epping Road westbound at Centennial Avenue
- An additional right turn lane from Epping Road to Sam Johnson Way citybound – this provides additional turning capacity to the Lane Cove West business park.
400,000 native plants were incorporated into the landscaping of the Lane Cove Tunnel. These plants provide road users and local communities with a pleasant environment and respect Australia's fauna and flora.