Mona Vale Rd / Ponderosa Parade, Warriewood Intersection Improvement
Roads and Maritime Services is improving the intersection of Mona Vale Road, Ponderosa Parade and Samuel Street, Warriewood by widening the road to extend the east and westbound dual approach and merge lanes.
Work to improve traffic congestion at Mona Vale Road, Ponderosa Parade intersection, Warriewood started in late June 2014 and is expected to be completed by early February 2015, weather permitting. Work already completed includes utility investigations, tree removal and site set-out. Please check out the latest information in our letter about the start of work.
Roads and Maritime is improving the intersection of Mona Vale Road, Ponderosa Parade and Samuel Street, Warriewood by widening the road to extend the east and westbound dual approach and merge lanes. This project is part of the NSW Government’s $246 million Pinch Point Program and will improve the through capacity for westbound movement, particularly during peak periods, with inadequate safe opportunities to overtake heavy vehicles. In addition there will be amendments to the roundabout to improve its functionality.
The project involves the following work items:
- Widen Mona Vale Road to the east of Samuel Street/Ponderosa Parade roundabout intersection on the southern side to provide two westbound approach lanes extending from the Foley Street intersection
- Widen Mona Vale Road to the west of Samuel Street/Ponderosa Parade roundabout intersection on the southern side to allow an additional westbound through lane and bus
- Extend the eastbound dual approach lanes and westbound dual departure lanes west of the roundabout intersection
- Provide an additional eastbound departure lane to the east of the roundabout intersection
- Reduce the island of the existing roundabout by about to provide two circulating lanes for eastbound and westbound traffic
- Relocate the existing bus stop on the westbound carriageway to the west of the roundabout intersection to a proposed indented bus bay
- Provide a hardstand bay within an existing gravel area for police speed enforcement on the eastbound carriageway opposite Daydream Street
- Remove informal parking along Mona Vale Road between the roundabout intersection and the western extent of works
- Signage, line marking and removal of numerous trees to facilitate the implementation of the design.
In addition there is also the relocation of select power poles and a low pressure gas main on the southern side of Mona Vale Rd by Ausgrid and Jemena.
Benefits of the project will include:
- Increase the throughput capacity of Mona Vale Road, particularly for the westbound direction. The aim is to reduce delays, relieve congestion and create more consistent travel times along this segment of the Mona Vale Road corridor.
- Provide a safe opportunity for cars to pass heavy vehicles before the steep grade to the west of the Mona Vale Road / Ponderosa Parade roundabout.
- Formalise the speed enforcement zone on the northern side of Mona Vale Road.