Mona Vale Road East upgrade - Manor Road, Ingleside to Foley Street, Mona Vale
About the project
The NSW Government is planning to upgrade Mona Vale Road from two lanes to four lanes between Terrey Hills and Mona Vale. The project will be staged to provide customers with a better travelling experience and to improve safety and traffic efficiency.
Mona Vale Road East currently experiences congestion as a result of the steep grade and limited safe vehicle overtaking opportunities which increases travel times. The proposed road upgrade for Mona Vale Road East would provide:
- Additional lanes for climbing and descending to improve travel time in both directions
- Widened shoulders and median separation to improve safety
- 80km/h speed limit between Mona Vale and Belrose once the road upgrades for both Mona Vale Road East and Mona Vale Road West are completed
- Facilities for cyclists and pedestrians
- Bus priority measures.
What is happening now?
The NSW Government has recently allocated $140m for completion of construction of the Mona Vale Road East upgrade.
The project team continues to engage extensively with the community to minimise the impact on them wherever possible.
Roads and Maritime Etender process is underway and construction is anticipated to start late 2018.
We will continue to keep the community updated as work on the project progresses.
The key features of the Mona Vale Road East upgrade include:
- Widening Mona Vale Road between Manor Road, Ingleside and Foley Street, Mona Vale from two lanes to four lanes with a central concrete safety barrier. The concrete safety barrier would be located from east of Manor Road to west of Daydream Street
- Providing three metre wide shoulders along Mona Vale Road between Manor Road and Daydream Street to allow a safer area for breakdowns and on-road cyclists
- Replacing the existing roundabout on Mona Vale Road at the intersection of Ponderosa Parade and Samuel Street with new traffic lights and signalised pedestrian crossings on all legs
- Providing new bus priority lanes on Mona Vale Road on the approaches to and departures from the intersection of Ponderosa Parade and Samuel Street
- Relocating the eastbound bus stop on Mona Vale Road near the Ponderosa Parade and Samuel Street intersection further east to the departure side of the intersection
- Providing a three metre wide shared path along the northern side of Mona Vale Road between the eastern end of the Lane Cove Road cul-de-sac and Samuel Street for pedestrians and cyclists
- Providing a three metre wide shared path along the southern side of Mona Vale Road between Ponderosa Parade and Foley Street for pedestrians and cyclists
- Changing the speed limit from 70km/h to 80 km/h once the road upgrade work is complete
- Implementing a 60km/h truck and bus speed limit for the downhill descent from Ingleside Road to the base of the escarpment
- Providing a truck arrester bed, about 180 metres long, for eastbound vehicles next to Walana Crescent
- Building six fill retaining walls up to six metres in height and five cuttings up to 16 metres in height along the length of Mona Vale Road due to the local terrain
- Providing fauna connectivity measures
- Upgrading the existing road and cross drainage systems including the construction, reconstruction and extension of the road drainage network
- Establishing temporary site compounds and stockpile locations during construction
- Landscaping over the length of the proposal
- Installing traffic monitoring cameras at all signalised intersections to assist with traffic management