Mona Vale Road West upgrade - McCarrs Creek Road, Terrey Hills to Powder Works Road, Ingleside
Upgrading 3.4 kilometres of Mona Vale Road from two lanes to four lanes between McCarrs Creek Road, Terrey Hills and Powder Works Road, Ingleside.
About the project
Mona Vale Road West currently experiences congestion in peak periods and requires upgrading to increase capacity and reduce travel times. Roads and Maritime proposes to deliver this project to:
- Improve traffic flow and efficiency by providing additional lanes
- Improve safety for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists by improving the road alignment and widening the shoulders
- Provide safe and efficient travel for pedestrians and cyclists from a new shared path
- Upgrade an essential link between Sydney’s northern beaches and the north shore
- Provide better access for current and future Ingleside residents by constructing a new local road corridor from Harvey Road to Powder Works Road
- Enable fauna to cross Mona Vale Road safely and access Garigal and Ku-ring-gai National Parks by constructing an overpass bridge and underpasses.
What is happening now?
Following the community consultation of the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) in February-March 2017, the Office of Environment and Heritage approved the project in November 2017. Roads and Maritime is currently completing the detailed design for the road upgrade.
The detailed design is expected to be completed in the second half of 2018. Construction is expected to commence in 2020, subject to funding.
The key features of the Mona Vale Road West upgrade include:
- Widening Mona Vale Road between McCarrs Creek Road and Powder Works Road from two lanes to four lanes with a central concrete safety barrier
- Providing a new traffic signal intersection at Kimbriki Road and Mona Vale Road, including additional dedicated turning lanes and a truck climbing lane
- Relocating the intersection of Mona Vale Road and Tumburra Street to the west by about 40 metres and changing access to left turn in and left turn out only
- Closing the existing intersection at Mona Vale Road and Addison Road to general traffic and restricting access to emergency vehicles only
- Constructing a new local road connection between Bungendore Street and Powder Works Road, using the existing Harvey Road corridor, and extending the new local road east of Addison Road to meet the intersection of Mona Vale Road and Powder Works Road
- Removing bus stops near the intersection of Tumburra Street and re-directing bus services along the new local road connection and Tumburra Street to serve existing and future land uses
- Providing new and improved fauna connections including a 40 metre wide fauna bridge over Mona Vale Road and two fauna underpasses
- Constructing a shared use path on the northern side of Mona Vale Road between McCarrs Creek Road and Addison Road
- Upgrading street lighting for the full length of the project
- Constructing retaining walls and/or sandstone cuttings at various locations along the alignment
- Landscaping over the length of the proposal.