The Blinking Light Intersection
After being approached by local residents, Roads and Maritime Services is proposing to officially name the intersection of Warringah Road and Wakehurst Parkway ‘The Blinking Light Intersection’.
In the first half of the 20th century, the intersection was the scene of multiple high speed collisions when the two roads were dirt tracks through the bush. To warn motorists of the danger, a blinking light was suspended above the intersection in 1952. It quickly became a local landmark.
The Blinking Light was replaced by traffic lights in 1966, and the intersection has been upgraded several times since.
Upon completion of the road upgrade project, it is proposed to formally name the intersection as a tribute to the local history of the area.