Heathcote Road upgrade
The NSW Government is proposing to upgrade a two-kilometre section of Heathcote Road at Holsworthy. The upgrade would reduce traffic congestion, improve safety, meet future traffic volumes and improve pedestrian and cyclist connectivity to Holsworthy Train Station and surrounding areas.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime Services is now developing a detailed design. This requires investigation field work along Heathcote Road during 2018. Between March and July, this work will include: For more information about this work and its impact on local traffic and the community, please view or download the May 2018 Notification (PDF, 401Kb).
Development of a detailed design
Roads and Maritime Services is now developing a detailed design. This requires investigation field work along Heathcote Road during 2018. Between March and July, this work will include:
For more information about this work and its impact on local traffic and the community, please view or download the May 2018 Notification (PDF, 401Kb).
Heathcote Road is a major arterial road that runs between Liverpool and Heathcote, connecting Sydney’s southern suburbs to the motorway network in the south-west including the M5 and M7 motorways. It is also a key link for commuters who drive, walk or cycle to Holsworthy Train Station and the Holsworthy Army Barracks.
The existing road between Infantry Parade and The Avenue is generally a two lane road and contains three bridges across Williams Creek, the T2 Airport railway line and Harris Creek. Congestion is often experienced along these sections of the road, particularly near the Macarthur Drive roundabout.
The NSW Government has allocated $4 million to plan the future upgrade.
Key benefits and features
The main benefits of the proposal include:
- reduced traffic congestion
- increased road capacity catering for current and predicted traffic volumes
- improved road safety
- more reliable travel times
- improved pedestrian and cyclist connectivity to Holsworthy Train Station and Hammondville Park
- improved freight access and efficiency.
The key features of the proposal include:
- widening and upgrading Heathcote Road between Infantry Parade and The Avenue to a four lane divided road
- upgrading the Macarthur Drive and The Avenue intersections to traffic light intersections
- duplication of the bridges over Harris Creek, Williams Creek and the T2 Airport railway line
- replacement of the existing bridges at Harris Creek and Williams Creek
- providing a pedestrian and cyclist shared path along the road, connecting Voyager Point to Holsworthy Train Station and towards Hammondville.
We sought feedback from the community during September and October 2016 on the Review of Environmental Factors for the proposed road upgrade to help guide future decision making and design.
Following a review of the submissions, we prepared a Submissions Report, which includes the feedback and our responses. View or download a copy of the Submissions Report.
What happens next?
Work began in February 2018 to investigate existing ground conditions and identify the location of utilities, such as water, gas, electricity and telecommunications infrastructure. Information gathered from this investigation work will help Roads and Maritime to develop the detailed design for the proposed Heathcote Road upgrade. We will continue to inform the community as this project progresses.