Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee
The NSW Government is funding this proposal as part of its $300 million Gateway to the South Pinch Points Program which aims to ease congestion and improve journey reliability on Sydney’s key southern corridors.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime Services is seeking feedback by Monday 3 July 2017 on a proposal to improve the intersection of Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee. View or download the May 2017 Community Update (PDF, 3.32Mb)for more information, contact details to have your say and a map of the proposal.
The Princes Highway is an important urban arterial road, and forms part of the A1 road corridor. The A1 connects the south coast of NSW and Wollongong to Sydney. It also provides access to major roads including the M5 Motorway, A3 King Georges Road, A36 Princes Highway (city) and M1 Pacific Highway.
High volumes of vehicles currently turn right from The Boulevarde onto the Princes Highway and left from Princes Highway onto The Boulevarde, this causes congestion and delays as traffic is reduced to two lanes for vehicles travelling southbound along Princes Highway. This proposal aims to ease congestion at this intersection and improve journey reliability for all road users.
The proposal includes:
- widening on the north-eastern and south-eastern sides of the intersection to accommodate two right turn lanes northbound from The Boulevarde into Princes Highway
- widening on the northern side of the intersection to accommodate an extended merge lane from The Boulevarde onto Princes Highway
- an extension of the left slip lane from Princes Highway westbound onto The Boulevarde
- removing about eight trees and 16 shrubs
- improving safety by closing access from Princes Highway service road onto The Boulevarde
- construction of a traffic island to improve pedestrian safety and to separate left and right turning traffic from The Boulevarde into Princes Highway
- installing new pavement and kerbs
- relocating utilities
- asphalting and line markings.
Benefits of the proposal
Benefits would include:
- improved operation of Princes Highway along the corridor and at the intersection with The Boulevarde
- improved safety at the intersection, with a reduction in the number of rear-end crashes and crashes involving motorists changing lanes
- reduced traffic delays and a better flow of traffic for motorists at all points along the corridor.
Roads and Maritime is seeking feedback on the proposed intersection improvements at Princes Highway and The Boulevarde by Monday 3 July 2017.
We will carefully consider all feedback received before deciding to proceed with this proposal. A community consultation report will be prepared, summarising the matters raised and our responses.