Chifley Road upgrade - Scenic Hill and Clarence Road over rail bridge
The NSW Government is proposing to upgrade sections of Chifley Road between Bell and Lithgow as part of the Bells Line of Road Corridor. The upgrade would provide long-term road safety benefits, more reliable travel times and improve regional access and efficiency.
On 25 June 2018 the Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight announced $95M in funding allocated across the next three years to plan and carry out a range of upgrade projects on the Great Western Highway and Chifley Road between Katoomba and Lithgow.
Bells Line of Road is a State road which stretches from North Richmond on the north-western outskirts of Sydney to Bell, at the intersection with the Darling Causeway. At this point it becomes Chifley Road which then goes to Clarence and into Lithgow on the western side of the Blue Mountains.
The combination of narrow lanes and shoulders and poor road alignment has led to a high crash rate along Chifley Road.
The proposal is to upgrade Scenic Hill, located about 3km east of Lithgow and replacing Clarence Road over the rail bridge located about 5km west of Bell.
Key features of the road bridge across the railway line at Clarence will include:
- Replacing and removing the existing bridge across the Main Western railway line
- Widening and realigning Chifley Road to connect to the new bridge
- Upgrading the intersection of Chifley Road and the road into the Clarence Colliery.
Key features of the upgrade at Scenic Hill will include:
- Widening and realigning Chifley Road at Scenic Hill and providing an additional descending lane and median barrier
- Improving the intersection at the Lithgow ex-Prisoner of War Memorial on Scenic Hill
- Providing improved concrete drains along road cuttings.
Review of Environmental Factors
A Review of Environmental Factors for Bells Line of Road – Chifley Road Upgrade Bridge replacement over the railway line at Clarence and the upgrade of Scenic Hill has now been determined and published.
- View or download the Submissions Report
- View or download the community consultation report
- View or download the Review of Environmental Factors:
Next steps for Clarence Bridge
The contract for the detailed design was awarded to Arcadis. The detailed design is expected to be completed within the next month with construction due to commence in late 2018 and it will take approximately two years to build.
Next steps for the Scenic Hill upgrade
Detailed design is expected to commence in late 2018 with construction in mid 2020.