Bells Line of Road - Chifley Road Upgrade
The NSW Government is proposing to upgrade sections of Chifley Road between Bell and Lithgow as part of the Bells Line of Road Corridor. The upgrade would provide long-term road safety benefits, more reliable travel times and improve regional access and efficiency.
Bells Line of Road is a State road which runs from North Richmond on the north-western outskirts of Sydney to Bell (at the intersection with the Darling Causeway). At this point it becomes Chifley Road which then goes to Clarence and into Lithgow on the western side of the Blue Mountains.
Chifley Road has a poor crash history and does not meet current new road standards and guidelines in a number of areas. Roads and Maritime is developing upgrades in response to crashes and alignment improvements through the Bells Line of Road Corridor Improvement Program.
Upgrades to Chifley Road would include:
- Improvements to the Scenic Hill section
- Replacement of the road bridge over the Main Western railway line at Clarence.
Key features of the Scenic Hill proposal include:
- Widening and upgrading Chifley Road
- Providing an additional one kilometre descending lane
- Installing median barriers and improving drainage
- Improving the alignment for the final corner or bend
- Improving access to the Ex-Prisoner of War Memorial on Chifley Road, Lithgow.
Key features of the road bridge over the railway line at Clarence proposal include:
- Replacing and removing the existing bridge over the Main Western railway line
- Widening and realigning Chifley Road to connect to the new bridge
- Upgrading the intersection of Chifley Road and the road into the Clarence Colliery.
Review of Environmental Factors
Roads and Maritime has prepared a Review of Environmental Factors to examine the potential impacts of the proposed upgrade to Bells Line of Road / Chifley Road and outline measures to reduce and manage the impacts.
The Review of Environmental Factors follows the display of a preliminary concept design earlier this year which encouraged community and stakeholder feedback to help guide our decision making and design.
- View or download the community consultation report
The Review of Environmental Factors will be placed on display until Wednesday 26 October 2016. Community and stakeholder comment is invited.
Alternatively you can visit the following display locations:
- Lithgow City Council,
180 Mort Street, Lithgow NSW 2790
Open weekdays 8.15am to 4pm.
- Lithgow Library,
157 Main Street, Lithgow NSW 2790
Open weekdays 9am to 6pm, and Saturday 9am – 12pm.
- Roads and Maritime Services District Office
15-33 Cooerwull Road
Bowenfels NSW 2790
Open weekdays 9am to 4pm.
Community information sessions
Roads and Maritime recognises the importance of involving the community in the development of the upgrade for Bells Line of Road and Chifley Road. We will host two community information sessions for the community to speak face-to-face with members of the project team and ask questions. A formal presentation will not be given, so please feel free to drop in at any time:
Our project team will be available at the Union Theatre, Bridge Street, Lithgow:
- Thursday 13 October 2016 from 5pm to 8pm
- Saturday 15 October 2016 from 12pm to 3pm.