Narellan Road Upgrade Stage 2
The Australian and NSW governments are funding a $114 million upgrade of Narellan Road to reduce congestion and improve safety and travel times.
Roads and Maritime Services began building Stage 2 in January 2016 and expects to finish by mid-2018.
Construction work will generally be carried out Mondays to Fridays between 7am and 6pm and on Saturdays between 8am and 1pm.
Existing traffic congestion on Narellan Road is expected to continue during peak traffic times until the upgrade is completed.
- 5 September - 23 December 2016: Night work will be carried out on Narellan Road between the TAFE/Western Sydney University access road and Blaxland Road/Gilchrist Drive
- 31 October – 23 December 2016: Night work will be carried out at the Narellan Road and Camden Valley Way intersection
- 31 October – 23 December 2016: Night work will be carried out on Narellan Road between the M31 Hume Motorway and the Camden Bypass
- Monday 23 May 2016: One lane will be permanently closed on the Narellan Road westbound exit onto the Camden Bypass.
Speed limit reduction
To ensure the safety of road users and workers, the speed limit on Narellan Road and surrounding streets has been reduced to 60km/h. Short term 40km/h speed limits will be used when workers are close to traffic.
A cyclist detour is in place between Mount Annan Drive and Alamein Avenue, please read our detour notification.
About Stage 2
The contract to build Stage 2 of Narellan Road was awarded to Seymour Whyte Constructions Pty Ltd with work starting in January 2016.
Key features of the project include:
- Widening Narellan Road to a six lane divided road, generally three lanes in each direction with a central median
- Upgrading the M31 Hume Motorway interchange and widening the northern bridge over the motorway for additional lanes
- Building a pedestrian bridge to provide a shared path over the M31 Hume Motorway on the southern side of Narellan Road
- Installing new traffic lights with pedestrian crossings at Kenny Hill Road
- Installing a three metre wide off-road share pedestrian/cyclists path
- Extending the southbound merge lane onto the M31 Hume Motorway by about 500 metres
- Constructing a Heavy Vehicle Inspection Bay on the westbound carriageway between Botanical Gardens and Hume Motorway Interchange
- Ten intersection improvements between Camden Valley Way, Camden and Blaxland Road, Campbelltown.
What happens next?
Construction began in January 2016 and is expected to finish by mid 2018, weather permitting.