Narellan Road Upgrade Stage 2
The Australian and NSW governments are funding the upgrade of Narellan Road to reduce congestion and improve safety and travel times.
Roads and Maritime Services began building Stage 2 in January 2016 and expects to finish by mid-2018.
Construction work will generally be carried out Mondays to Fridays between 7am and 6pm and on Saturdays between 8am and 1pm.
Existing traffic congestion on Narellan Road is expected to continue during peak traffic times until the upgrade is completed.
Updates and announcements
In early December 2017 the project team lifted the new pedestrian/cyclist bridge over the M31 Hume Motorway into place. The bridge will be fully completed in the coming weeks - This video captures the installation of the bridge which happened over a few nights: To minimise impacts to motorists, some work for the Narellan Road upgrade will need to take place at night.
New pedestrian/cyclist bridge
In early December 2017 the project team lifted the new pedestrian/cyclist bridge over the M31 Hume Motorway into place. The bridge will be fully completed in the coming weeks - This video captures the installation of the bridge which happened over a few nights:
To minimise impacts to motorists, some work for the Narellan Road upgrade will need to take place at night.
A cyclist detour is in place with access for cyclists travelling southbound on the M31 Hume Motorway restricted.
Cyclists will be detoured via Narellan Road, onto the Camden Bypass, the Old Hume Highway and along Picton Road to re-join the M31 Hume Motorway at the Picton Road Interchange, Wilton. This detour will be in place from Tuesday 9 January 2018 until April 2018, weather permitting.
There will be no change to cyclists travelling northbound along the M31 Hume Motorway For full details please read our detour notification.
About Stage 2
The contract to build Stage 2 of Narellan Road was awarded to Seymour Whyte Constructions Pty Ltd with work starting in January 2016.
Key features of the project include:
- Widening Narellan Road to a six lane divided road, generally three lanes in each direction with a central median
- Upgrading the M31 Hume Motorway interchange and widening the northern bridge over the motorway for additional lanes
- Building a pedestrian bridge to provide a shared path over the M31 Hume Motorway on the southern side of Narellan Road
- Installing new traffic lights with pedestrian crossings at Kenny Hill Road
- Installing a three metre wide off-road share pedestrian/cyclists path
- Extending the southbound merge lane onto the M31 Hume Motorway by about 500 metres
- Constructing a Heavy Vehicle Inspection Bay on the westbound carriageway between Botanical Gardens and Hume Motorway Interchange
- Ten intersection improvements between Camden Valley Way, Camden and Blaxland Road, Campbelltown.
What happens next?
Construction began in January 2016 and is expected to finish by mid 2018, weather permitting.