Cranebrook - The Northern Road
The Northern Road is being upgraded from a two lane undivided road to a four lane divided road between Andrews Road and north of Borrowdale Way. This upgrade will be built by Lend Lease as part of their statutory approval for the Jordan Springs urban development.
Penrith is a growing community with new residential suburbs and employment precincts. The Northern Road north of the Penrith City Centre requires upgrading.
The upgrade of the 1.9km section of The Northern Road between Andrews Road and Borrowdale Way is to be undertaken by Lend Lease as part of their statutory approval for the Jordan Springs urban development. The upgrade is designed to accommodate the increase in traffic that is expected to result from both this development and others in the Penrith region.
This section of The Northern Road is currently a two lane undivided road. It will be upgraded to a four lane divided road. This includes upgrading existing intersections and constructing new intersections to provide access to surrounding residential areas.
Construction will be in two stages in conjunction with the Jordan Springs urban development. This will provide road capacity for the forecast increase in traffic and population of the Penrith region.
Roads and Maritime Services put temporary measures in place to address safety concerns by banning the right turn movement at the Sherringham Road intersection. This intersection will be signalised by Lend Lease as part of Stage 1 of the upgrade.
Review of Environmental Factors (REF)
The Review of Environmental Factors for The Northern Road upgrade, from Andrews Road to Borrowdale Way, Cranebrook proposal was on display from Monday 11 July to Friday 5 August 2011. The review describes the proposal, likely impacts on the environment and protective measures to be implemented.
Lend Lease has considered all community feedback received during the REF display period. A submissions report summarising the issues raised and providing responses is available from the project documents page.
The review of environmental factors was determined on 31 July 2012. To view the review of environmental factors go to the project documents page.
- Improved safety for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians
- Improved travel time for motorists and road freight
- Improved amenity for residents.
- Upgrade from a two lane undivided road to a four lane divided road with central raised median
- New signalised T-intersection at Jordan Springs Boulevard access to Jordan Springs urban development
- Signalised four-way intersection at Borrowdale Way and the northern access road to Jordan Springs development
- Left in/left out intersection at Watkin Street access to Jordan Springs urban development
- New traffic signals at Sherringham Road intersection.
What happens next?
Lend Lease Engineering are building the upgrade with completion due mid 2015.