Stage 1 - Bells Creek and Townson Road
Stage 1 of the Richmond Road upgrade is between Bells Creek, and to the north of Townson Road, Marsden Park.
The contract to upgrade the 1.9 kilometre section of Richmond Road between Bells Creek and Townson Road was awarded to Burton Contractors in December 2012.
Construction commenced in mid February 2013 and was open to traffic in July 2014.
A community update featuring the road design is available to read or download from the project documents page.
For more information on the project background, view the project overview page.
- An upgrade from two to a four lane divided road with a landscaped central median. The upgrade has provision for widening to six lanes in the future
- A speed limit of 80km/h
- A three metre wide off-road shared pedestrian/cyclist path on the western side of the road with provision made on the eastern side of the road in the future
- New traffic lights at Townson Road and at the new intersection for Colebee and the Sydney business Park
- Closure of Hollinsworth Road with access via an extended Townson Road
- Bus priority capability at traffic lights
- Designated turning lanes, and bicycle and pedestrian crossing provisions at traffic lights.