Roper Road, Colyton – localised widening
Roads and Maritime Services is upgrading Roper Road at Colyton by widening the road to increase the length of the southbound right turn lane to the M4 from the Carlisle Avenue roundabout. These works currently being undertaken will improve the southbound through capacity in Roper Road.
Work to improve traffic congestion on Roper Road near the M4 Motorway entrance started in late May 2014 and is expected to be completed in early September 2014, weather permitting. Work already completed includes installing strormwater drainage pipes, construction of concrete kerb & gutter, some initial asphalting works and preparation works for the concrete footpath. Further work will include finishing the concrete footpath, asphalting, linemarking and signage. Work will be carried out from 7am to 5pm between Mondays and Saturdays, excluding Sundays. Approximately 10 further nightshifts will be required to finish the project works.
- Pavement widening and new kerb & gutter over a length of 280m and new stormwater drainage.
- Construction of a new wide footpath 200m long.
- New asphalt to the southbound through lane.
Other activities associated with this project include line marking and sign installation.
These project works have been designed to improve access to the M4 motorway from Roper Road at Colyton.
Benefits of the project will include:
- Improved safety for pedestrians
- Reduced delays for southbound journeys on Roper Road at Colyton
- Better manoeuvrability for heavy and long vehicles.