About this project
The proposed upgrade of The Northern Road is approximately 30 kilometres long and will form one of the main arterial transport corridors within the South West Growth Centre. As residential and commercial development occurs, the amount of traffic using The Northern Road is expected to increase.
- An upgrade from a generally two lane to a four lane divided road with central median
- A wide central median will allow for future widening to six lanes, if required in the future
- A speed limit of 80km/h
- Thirteen signalised intersections, five of them are new intersections
- Duplication of bridges over Narellan Creek and Thompsons Creek
- A three metre wide off-road shared pedestrian/cyclist path
- Designated turning lanes, and bicycle and pedestrian crossing provisions at traffic lights
- Bus priority lanes at traffic lights and indented bus bays
- Temporary U-turn facilities at some future precinct link roads
- Existing properties along The Northern Road would continue to have left in/left out access, until precinct development takes place.
- Increased capacity to cater for future population growth in the area
- Improved safety for motorists by:
- New intersections with traffic lights for access to precincts
- A central median that separates opposing traffic flows
- Turning lanes at intersections
- Improved safety for cyclists through an off-road shared path
- Improved travel times when future development occurs
- Access to future South West Growth Centre precincts along The Northern Road
- Improved access and travel times for road freight in Sydney’s south west.