The Northern Road upgrade
The Australian and NSW governments are upgrading The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a $3.6 billion road investment program.
Updates and announcements
The contract for the construction of The Northern Road upgrade between Mersey Road, Bringelly and Eaton Road, Luddenham has been awarded to a joint venture between Ertech Pty Limited and Georgiou Group Pty Ltd. Work on this section is due to start in the last quarter of 2018.
On 15 June 2018 a delegate of the Commonwealth Environment Minister and on 30 May 2018 the NSW Planning Minister approved with conditions the project to upgrade The Northern Road between Mersey Road, Bringelly and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park.
View or download the approvals:
For more information about the project please refer to the project webpage.
About The Northern Road upgrade
Roads and Maritime Services is upgrading around 35 kilometres of The Northern Road between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Jamison Road, South Penrith from a generally two to four lane undivided road to a six to eight lane divided road.
The Northern Road upgrade will deliver new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. The upgrade will also provide one of the main arterial transport corridors for the South West Growth Area and the Western Sydney Growth Area. The Northern Road upgrade will improve safety, increase road capacity and reduce congestion and travel times in the future.
The Northern Road upgrade is being delivered in sections between:
- The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park (3.3 kilometres) - completed
- Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park and Mersey Road, Bringelly (11.3 kilometres)
- Mersey Road, Bringelly and Eaton Road, Luddenham (5.5 kilometres)
- Eaton Road, Luddenham and Littlefields Road, Luddenham (4.5 kilometres)
- Littlefields Road, Luddenham and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park (6 kilometres)
- Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith (4 kilometres)