The Northern Road Upgrade, The Old Northern Road to Peter Brock Drive
The Australian and NSW governments are planning to upgrade The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a 10 year, $3.6 billion road investment program.
The Northern Road Upgrade will deliver new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing a western Sydney airport at Badgerys Creek. It would also improve safety, increase road capacity and reduce congestion and travel times in the future.
This first stage covers 3.3km between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park.
Updates and announcements
Traffic movements at the intersection of The Northern Road and Dan Cleary Drive have been permanently restricted to left-in / left-out only. Right turn movements to and from The Northern Road can be made at Peter Brock Drive. Work is being carried out during standard construction hours from 7am to 6pm Mondays to Fridays and from 8am to 1pm on Saturdays.
Traffic movements at the intersection of The Northern Road and Dan Cleary Drive have been permanently restricted to left-in / left-out only. Right turn movements to and from The Northern Road can be made at Peter Brock Drive.
Work is being carried out during standard construction hours from 7am to 6pm Mondays to Fridays and from 8am to 1pm on Saturdays.
- Contractors: Georgiou
- Start date of major construction: February 2016
- Expected completion date: Early 2018
- Project value (of all 6 sections of The Northern Road): $1.6 billion
- Funding: Australian and NSW governments
This stage of The Northern Road Upgrade is 3.3km between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park. The Northern Road will be one of the main arterial transport corridors in Sydney’s South West Priority Land Release Area. As residential and commercial development occurs, the amount of traffic in the area is expected to increase on The Northern Road. The Northern Road Upgrade will also support a western Sydney airport at Badgerys Creek. The Northern Road between Camden Valley Way and The Old Northern Road was upgraded in 2007.
There will be four intersections along the route. Three of them will have traffic lights, to give access to existing and future residential and commercial precincts.
The key benefits of the project are:
- Increased capacity to cater for future population growth in the area
- Improved safety for motorists by:
- Building new intersections with traffic lights to access precincts
- Building a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- Building turning lanes at intersections
- Improved safety for cyclists and pedestrians through an off-road shared path
- Improved travel times and access to future precincts along The Northern Road
- Improved access and travel times for road freight in Sydney’s south west.
The key features of the project include:
- Widening The Northern Road to provide three lanes in each direction (two general traffic lanes and a kerbside bus lane)
- A 80km/h speed limit
- A three metre wide off-road shared pedestrian and cyclist path
- Designated turning lanes
- Three intersection upgrades with traffic lights at Porrende Street, Hillside Drive and Cobbity Road
- Two new bridges over Narellan Creek for northbound and southbound traffic
- Bicycle and pedestrian crossings at traffic lights.
What happens next?
Most of the work will be carried out during normal working hours from 7am to 6pm Mondays to Fridays and on Saturdays from 8am to 1pm, weather permitting.
The site office is located on the corner of Smeaton Grange Road and Camden Valley Way, Narellan.
Construction on The Northern Road started in February 2016 and is expected to be open to traffic in early 2018, weather permitting.