The Northern Road upgrade, The Old Northern Road to Peter Brock Drive
The Australian and NSW governments are upgrading The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a 10 year, $3.6 billion road investment program.
The Northern Road upgrade will deliver new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing a Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. It would also improve safety, increase road capacity and reduce congestion and travel times in the future.
The upgrade is being delivered in stages, this first stage covers 3.3 kilometres between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park.
- Contractor: Georgiou
- Start date of major construction: February 2016
- Expected completion date: early 2018
- Project value (of all six sections of The Northern Road): $1.6 billion
- Funding: Australian and NSW governments
This stage of The Northern Road upgrade is 3.3 kilometres between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park. The Northern Road will be one of the main arterial transport corridors in Sydney’s South West Priority Growth Area. As residential and commercial development occurs, the amount of traffic in the area is expected to increase on The Northern Road. The Northern Road upgrade will also support the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. The Northern Road between Camden Valley Way and The Old Northern Road was upgraded in 2007.
There will be four intersections along the route. Three of these intersections will have traffic lights, to give access to existing and future residential and commercial precincts.
The key benefits of the project are:
- Increased capacity to cater for future population growth in the area
- Improved safety for motorists by:
- Building new intersections with traffic lights to access precincts
- Building a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- Building turning lanes at intersections
- Improved safety for cyclists and pedestrians through an off-road shared path
- Improved travel times and access to future precincts along The Northern Road
- Improved access and travel times for road freight in Sydney’s south west.
The key features of the project include:
- Widening The Northern Road to provide three lanes in each direction (two general traffic lanes and a kerbside bus lane)
- A 80km/h speed limit
- A three metre wide off-road shared pedestrian and cyclist path
- Designated turning lanes
- Three intersection upgrades with traffic lights at Porrende Street, Hillside Drive and Cobbity Road
- Two new bridges over Narellan Creek for northbound and southbound traffic
- Bicycle and pedestrian crossings at traffic lights.
What happens next?
Most of the work is being carried out during normal working hours from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and on Saturday from 8am to 1pm, weather permitting.
The site office is located on the corner of Smeaton Grange Road and Camden Valley Way, Narellan.
Construction on The Northern Road between Old Northern Road and Peter Brock Drive started in February 2016 and is expected to be open to traffic in early 2018, weather permitting.