The Northern Road Upgrade, Glenmore Parkway to Jamison Road
The Australian and NSW governments are planning to upgrade The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a 10 year, $3.6 billion road investment program.
The Northern Road Upgrade will deliver new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing a western Sydney airport at Badgerys Creek. It would also improve safety, increase road capacity and reduce congestion and travel times in the future.
This upgrade covers about 4km between Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith. It is planned to generally follow the existing road alignment.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime sought comments from the community and stakeholders on the concept design and Review of Environmental Factors (REF) for The Northern Road Upgrade between Glenmore Parkway and Jamison Road in October and November 2016. We would like to thank everyone who considered the proposal and provided feedback.
Consultation now closed
Roads and Maritime sought comments from the community and stakeholders on the concept design and Review of Environmental Factors (REF) for The Northern Road Upgrade between Glenmore Parkway and Jamison Road in October and November 2016.
We would like to thank everyone who considered the proposal and provided feedback.
How do I get home?
If you live along this route there may be changes to how you access your property. To see these changes, please visit our interactive portal.
The benefits include:
- Improving travel times by:
- Increasing the number of lanes along The Northern Road
- Removing a set of traffic lights at the M4 interchange
- Providing additional turning lanes at some intersections
- Allowing for reliable public transport by providing a continuous kerbside bus lane in each direction
- Improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists by providing a new shared path
- Improving connectivity for pedestrians by providing new footpaths
- Improving road safety by:
- Providing a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- Installing new traffic lights at two existing intersections
- Providing separate turning lanes at some intersections
- Improving the alignment of the road
- Improving local access by providing an extension of Cross Road to Wentworth Road
- Mitigating traffic noise impacts by providing two new noise barriers.
Key features of the proposed road upgrade include:
- Widening The Northern Road to provide four lanes in each direction (three general traffic lanes and a kerbside bus lane)
- Building a new bridge over the M4 motorway with the existing bridge to be removed
- Installing new traffic lights and turning lanes at some intersections
- Providing continuous bus lanes in each direction
- Installing a central median
- Providing a new shared pedestrian and cyclist path and footpaths
- Installing new street lighting, drainage, safety barriers and landscaping
- Installing new retaining walls
- Installing two new noise barriers
What happens next?
We are currently assessing construction tenders and plan to award to the successful tenderer in late 2016.
We expect to start construction in mid-2017 with completion in late 2019.
All feedback received during the display of the concept design and REF will be considered by the project team. A Submissions report is currently being prepared that summaries submissions and the intended project outcome. The Submissions Report will be available on this website in early 2017.